Faculty in the Department of Biology are active in research and conduct studies in
diverse subdisciplines within biology, including molecular biology, cell biology,
physiology, ecology and evolutionary biology.
The department also has faculty members with expertise in pedagogical studies, genomic
analysis and neuroscience.
Departmental Faculty Leadership
John Kennell, Ph.D.
Brian Downes, Ph.D., and Thomas Valone, Ph.D.
Susan Spencer, Ph.D.
Graduate Affairs Committee Chair
Laurie Russell, Ph.D.
Undergraduate Student Coordinator
Lindzy Dodson, Ph.D.
Undergraduate Research Coordinator
- Alaina Baker-Nigh, Ph.D.
- Jan Barber, Ph.D.
- Peter Bernhardt, Ph.D.
- Stephen Blake, Ph.D.
- Elena Bray Speth, Ph.D.
- Gerardo Camilo, Ph.D.
- Leticia De Souza Soares, Ph.D.
- Jonathan Fisher, Ph.D.
- Kasey Fowler-Finn, Ph.D.
- Eva Gonzales, Ph.D.
- Damon Hall, Ph.D.
- Pamela R. Hesker, Ph.D.
- Blythe Janowiak, Ph.D.
- Jason Knouft, Ph.D.
- Zhenguo Lin, Ph.D.
- Richard Mayden, Ph.D.
- Allison Miller, Ph.D.
- Judith Ogilvie, Ph.D.
- Laurie Shornick, Ph.D.
- William S. Stark, Ph.D.
- Julie Thole, Ph.D.
- Yuqi Wang, Ph.D.
- Daniel Warren, Ph.D.
- Robert Wood, Ph.D.
- Wenyan Xiao, Ph.D.
- Fenglian Xu, Ph.D.
- Dapeng Zhang, Ph.D.
- Robert D. Aldridge, Ph.D.
- Joe Leverich, Ph.D.
- John Severson, Ph.D.
- Cheryl Asa, Ph.D., St. Louis Zoo; reproductive biology, ecology and conservation of
- Thomas Croat, Ph.D., Missouri Botanical Garden; systematics of the Araceae
- Peter Goldblatt, Ph.D., Missouri Botanical Garden; systematics, karyology and breeding
systems of African Iridaceae
- Charles Hoessle, Ph.D., St. Louis Zoo Director Emeritus; animal conservation, zoo
biology and education
- Peter Hoch, Ph.D., Missouri Botanical Garden; systematics and evolution of North American
species of Onagraceae
- Kevin Kayset, Ph.D., Sigma-Aldrich; microbiology, enzyme thermostability, thermophilic
- Peter Kevan, Ph.D.; pollination biology
- Peter Raven, Ph.D., Director, Missouri Botanical Garden; biogeography of seed plants;
coevolution of plants and animals; plant systematics