Saint Louis University works to ensure you receive the proper information and support during the application process. For more information about the admissions process, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Director of admissions
Heidi Buffington grew up in Erie, Penn. She studied abroad in Spain when she was a junior at the College of Wooster. After graduating with a degree in biology and Spanish, she returned to Spain to pursue a Master's of Arts in International Studies. Buffington joined the SLU-Madrid staff in 2004 as U.S. visiting student coordinator. She later served as international admissions counselor and graduate admissions coordinator, recruiting first-year, transfer and graduate students from the U.S. and Western Europe. Buffington was appointed director of admissions in 2016.
- M.A., International Studies, Escuela Diplomática de Madrid (Spain)
- B.A., Biology and Spanish, The College of Wooster
Mónica Chiclana joined the SLU-Madrid admissions team in 2010. She is the alumni association coordinator, and works with students from international high schools in Spain.
- B.S., Business Administration/Marketing, Saint Louis University
- M.A., Communication and Protocol, GADE Business School (Spain)
Cat Gaa grew up all over the Midwest, eventually settling in Chicago. Studying a joint degree in journalism and international studies at the University of Iowa, she spent a summer in Valladolid and moved to Seville, Spain, upon graduation to work in the ESL field. She later furthered her studies in communication by earning a degree in public relations from the Autonomous University of Barcelona. Gaa joined the SLU-Madrid team in 2016 as an admissions counselor, focusing her efforts on Western Europe and the UK, Sub-Saharan Africa and post graduate programs.
- B.A., Journalism and Mass Communication, International Studies; University of Iowa
- M.A., Public Relations, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (Spain)
Keira Maaked is from Spain and has been a member of the SLU-Madrid staff since 2001. She is the key point of contact for students, high schools and universities from Middle East and North Africa. She speaks French, Arabic, Spanish, English and even a little Polish.
- Escuela Superior de Traducción e Interpretación, Universidad de Granada (Spain)
Bianca Montenegro hails from Manila, Philippines. She received a liberal arts education from Ateneo de Manila, the oldest Jesuit university in the country. In 2004, she relocated to Spain to pursue graduate studies and ended up making Madrid her home. Montenegro has been a member of the SLU-Madrid admissions team since 2010. She oversees recruitment in Asia-Pacific and Southern Europe.
- M.Sc., Strategic Human Resources Management, Universidad Complutense de Madrid (Spain)
- B.A., Psychology, Ateneo de Manila University (Philippines)
Originally from Washington, D.C., Emir Parrotta has called Madrid home since 2012. After earning his B.A. in English Literature from McGill University in Montreal, he moved to Madrid where he has taught English at various schools, such as the British Council, and has also organized English teaching programs as CIEE's Teach in Spain Coordinator. Emir joined the admissions team at SLU-Madrid in July 2019.
- B.A., English Literature, McGill University
Emily Pyle is a San Diego, California, native. After completing her B.A. in History with a minor in English literature, Pyle moved to Cádiz in 2012 in order to gain international exposure and to teach English. Three Spanish cities later, and with more than five years of living and working in Spain under her belt, Pyle joined the admissions staff in 2018.
- B.A., History, University of California, San Diego
Diego Rodríguez-Vila was born in Valladolid but moved to Madrid when he was 9. He has studied in six different universities (including SLU). He has worked in college recruiting for Spanish and American universities for 15 years.
- B.A., Advertising, University of Colorado at Boulder
- Licenciado en Comunicación Audiovisual, Universidad Antonio de Nebrija (Spain)
- Master in Business Administration, ESADE (Spain)
Study Abroad Counselor
Katherine Smith grew up in Ohio and has spent the past few years living in Spain. She has a B.A. in Spanish and international studies from Ohio State University and a M.A. in Spanish from SLU-Madrid. While completing her undergraduate degree, she studied abroad in Bolivia and Spain. In her role at SLU-Madrid, she coordinates visiting groups.
- B.A., Spanish and international studies, Ohio State University
- M.A., Spanish, Saint Louis University
U.S.-based Admissions Staff
Madrid Campus Admissions Counselor
Queen’s Daughters Hall, Office #227
3730 Lindell Boulevard
Saint Louis University
St. Louis, MO 63108
An experienced international education professional, Alexis Boyer-Meyerman has worked at private institutions in China, Switzerland and the United States; she is currently completing her final doctoral project in educational leadership at St. Louis University’s campus in Missouri. Fluent in French, Spanish and English, Alexis wakes up every morning eager to help students and their parents find the right “fit” when it comes to their higher education. It is a particular pleasure to be able to do so on behalf of SLU-Madrid, supporting bright and engaged students who are embarking on the educational adventure of a lifetime as they head to Europe for their studies! Alexis is based in St. Louis and works primarily with first-year and transfer students from the United States and Canada.
- B.A., Political Studies, Queen’s University at Kingston Ontario
- M.A., Marketing and Advertising Communications, Webster University
- Ed.D. (in progress), Educational Leadership, St. Louis University
Madrid Campus Study Abroad Counselor
3694 West Pine Mall
Saint Louis University
St. Louis, MO 63108
Originally from St. Louis, Kate Brooks has had years of international experience, both living abroad and working in the field of education abroad. She lived outside of Seville, Spain, with family for nearly three years. While working on her master’s degree, Brooks spent a semester in Geneva, Switzerland. She has also taught English in Matsuyama, Japan. Brooks is excited to work as the St. Louis-based counselor for students wishing to study abroad in Madrid.
- B.A., English, Quincy University
- B.A., Spanish, Webster University
- M.A., international relations, Webster University