Scholarships for Students Committed to Service
Was fulfilling your high school's service requirement a cinch because of how much you love to volunteer? That passion for service may help you pay for college. Check out these scholarships for community service.
Saint Louis University Martin Luther King Jr. Scholarship
SLU's MLK scholarship is granted to students who are committed to the promotion of diversity and social justice, who demonstrate leadership in the classroom, on campus and in the greater community.
- For students entering in the 20-21 academic year, the test score needs to be an ACT composite of 23 or greater or an SAT of 1050 (math + critical reading) taken prior to March 2016 or an SAT of 1130 (math + evidence-based reading and writing) taken after March 2016.
- A cumulative high school GPA of 3.25 or higher, weighted or unweighted, as reported on your transcript at the end of your junior year.
SLU's Martin Luther King Jr. Scholarship is a renewable four-year academic award of $3,000 per year. On average, MLK Scholars receive a total of $24,000 in scholarships and aid per year from the University.
Saint Louis University Peter Claver Service Scholarship
SLU's Saint Peter Claver Service Scholarship is granted once every four years and recognizes an incoming student from an urban setting who is committed to community service.
- Minimum 3.2 GPA and ACT score of 23
- Verifiable record of community service and demonstrated financial need
This scholarship is a renewable for up to four semesters with an award of $2,200 per year. It requires 40 hours of service per semester.
Saint Louis University John Paul Fechter Service Scholarship
SLU's Paul Fechter service scholarship is awarded to transfer students who have demonstrated significant dedication to community service. A separate application is required.
- Students must be in good academic standing and accepted into Saint Louis University
- 30 transferable college credit hours
- Demonstration of significant involvement in community service
This scholarship is a renewable for up to four semesters with an award of $10,000 per year. It requires 40 hours of service per semester.
Want to learn more? Read about other great scholarships for college freshmen at SLU or get more tips from Be a Billiken about financial aid and preparing for college.
KEEP EXPLORING BE A BILLIKEN