Office and Parent and Family Engagement
Welcome to the SLU community! As part of the Billiken family, you play an integral role in assisting with the transition and success of your student into the Saint Louis University community. Saint Louis University's Office of Parent and Family Engagement provides resources, communications and services for families to assist with navigating SLU so that your student can succeed in the college environment.
Whether you live across town or the globe, we know a part of you is at Saint Louis University as long as you have a student here. Parents and families are a valued part of our SLU community, every member of which is devoted to the academic and personal success of students.
Goals of the Office of Parent and Family Engagement
The goals of the Office of Parent and Family Engagement are to:
- Enhance communication between the University and the families of Saint Louis University students
- Present to the University family perspectives on the student and family experience at Saint Louis University
- Engage families in activities that promote the University and enrich students’ educational development and the collegiate experience
- Develop the family community as a resource for the University
- Assist the University administration in identifying and encouraging parents, families and others to support the mission of the University
To Get Started
- Explore this section of slu.edu.
- Follow the SLU Office of Parent and Family Engagement on Facebook.
- Join the Billiken Parent and Family Association Facebook Group to ask questions and share information with other SLU families. (Be sure and answer all the required questions to join.)
- Download the official SLU Parent and Family Calendar
- Learn more about SLU 101.
- Learn more about the events that Billiken families are invited to participate in throughout the academic year.
- Make sure to download the Rave Guardian campus safety app.
- Contact us any time at email@example.com.
The First-Year Experience
It all starts with SLU 101; both you and your student will attend sessions to help prepare you for the year to come.
Next, we’ll see you at Fall Welcome. The first few days on campus not only assist our first-year students in their transition to Saint Louis University, but offer resources and programs for you too.
There are lots of opportunities to stay involved with your student and the SLU community from that point on, including Homecoming and Family Weekend (what you might think of as Parent Weekend) and Billiken Parent and Family Association events throughout the year.
Director for Parent and Family Engagement
Kesha Williams is the inaugural director for parent and family engagement in the Dean of Student Office at Saint Louis University. She received both her undergraduate and a graduate degree in Science at Southern Illinois University-Carbondale.
She has worked in higher education for over 30 years and in several areas of student affairs. Williams has been working with families for over 15 years. She understands and appreciates the critical role families play in their student's college education.
Williams is a member of the Association of Higher Education Parents Promoting Professionals where she has served as a former board member, co-chaired several committees, and co-authored a book with other parent-professional colleagues called College Ready: 2021 & 2022 Expert Advice for Parents to Simplify College Transition.
She looks forward to working with Billiken families to help provide the resources and support they need as well as assisting the St. Louis community.