Skip to main content
MenuSearch & Directory

Frequently Asked Questions From Parent and Family Members

Learning the ins and outs of Saint Louis University might seem overwhelming at first. The answers to many questions you might have are below. You can also ask for advice from experienced SLU family members in the Billiken Parent and Family Association Facebook group.

General Information

How can my student update their contact information?
Contact information can be updated through Banner Self-Service at any time.
Does SLU cancel classes in the event of severe winter weather?

SLU has a largely residential campus, and our grounds services employees work to ensure walkways are clear and safe for students. In the event of severe winter weather, you can determine the University's status by calling 314-977-7669 (SNOW) or following our official social media accounts. 

Does SLU have a Family Weekend?

SLUs Family Weekend is held in partnership with our Homecoming Weekend. Billikens, their parents, family members, and alumni can celebrate this special event together during the fall semester.



What academic resources are available to my student?
SLU's Student Success Center helps students become competent and confident independent learners. Students can schedule a time with a tutor or writing consultant easily using our online appointment scheduler. The center also has resources for students with disabilities and helps first-year students transition to college academics through the University 101 course and the MAP Works transition assessment.
Does my student need permission to drop a class?

Students need permission from their academic advisor to drop a class. After the first week of the semester, the advisor's signature will also be required. Check the University's academic calendar for specific dates related to dropping a class if your student hopes to drop without a “W” appearing on his or her transcript.

Be aware that “holds” may placed on your student's account that prohibit the ability to drop/add classes and need to be resolved before any registration changes can be made. For a list of possible holds, visit the Office of the Registrar.

Can my student study abroad and still graduate on time?
Yes. We encourage all students to meet with their academic team to discuss studying abroad and when a study abroad experience would best fit within their academic plan. SLU offers a wide variety of short-term and summer study abroad opportunities for students who may have difficulty studying abroad for a semester or academic year. Get more information about Study Abroad at SLU, including answers to other frequently asked questions.
Will a copy of my student’s grades be mailed to my home?
No. SLU students access their grades online through mySLU, Banner Self-Service. Saint Louis University has two methods through which students can grant access to other individuals: Student Consent of Disclosure of FERPA Records and Banner Proxy.  For additional information see Parents and Third-Party Record Access.
Where can I find information about graduation and commencement?
Graduating students must complete a graduation application through the registrar’s office. You can also visit for a schedule of events, information on caps and gowns, and more.
I have additional questions about accessing student records, my student's transcripts or the academic calendar.
The Office of the Registrar can help you and your student with many questions related to their enrollment and academic record. Visit the office online or call 314-977-2269.


Accessibility and Disability Resources

Is my student expected to disclose their disability status either upon application to or arrival at SLU?

To be admitted to SLU, all students, including those with or without disabilities, must meet the minimum qualifications for admission. Applicants with documented disabilities are granted equal consideration and are not required to identify their disabilities during the application process.

Students may disclose their disability at any time during their academic career at SLU.

How do disability accommodations at SLU differ from what we experienced when my student was in high school?

While high school accommodations are largely governed by the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, which guarantees mandatory, free education that leads to the outcome of successful learning, college accommodations are largely governed by the Americans with Disabilities Act. It guarantees equal access to education with no additional outcomes specified.

Will professors reach out to my student regarding their disability or is there someone I should call?

Your student is responsible for requesting reasonable accommodations if he or she wishes to do so and for coordinating with instructors to arrange how those accommodations will be carried out in the classroom.

Students should be aware that they must self-advocate, rather than leaving it up to parents, teachers or the institution. SLU's Center for Accessibility and Disability Resources facilitates accommodations for all students, except those within the SLU School of Law or School of Medicine. While the office may be able to answer some of your questions, its primary role is to work directly with students.



How secure are SLU's residence halls?

Safety and security are top priorities at SLU. All of our residence halls and the Marchetti Towers are locked 24 hours a day. Any SLU student ID can be used to enter the front door but only residents of the building can swipe their ID a second time to gain access beyond the security desk.

Visitors must check in at the front desk and be escorted at all times. Security cameras are present and can be accessed by hall staff and the Department of Public Safety. Sprinklers and smoke detectors are also present in all apartments and residence halls.

What is the University's visitation policy for the residence halls?

Visitation policies vary by housing option. Detailed information can be found for each residence hall or apartment at Regardless of which policy is in place, all guests must be registered at the security desk and be escorted at all times. Please be sure you and your student review the Housing and Residence Life Handbook for more information.

How should I send mail to my student living in a residence hall?

Student mail is not delivered to individual residence hall facilities. Residential students are assigned a mailbox (also known as an MSC box) with their housing assignment. Students will receive their mailbox number with their housing assignment letter, and they may keep the same mailbox for their entire time living on campus. The mailroom is on the first floor on the east side of the Busch Student Center. When addressing mail to your student, use the following format:

Student's first and last name
20 N. Grand, MSC Box ________
St. Louis, MO 63103

If a student receives a package, he or she will be notified via a package slip in their mailbox and will pick up the item from the mailroom. For more information visit student mail services.

When does my student have to check out after final exams?

Students are expected to check out within 24 hours of their last final exam. Students who are unable to check out at that time should contact the Department of Housing and Residence Life to request an extension.

Does my student need to remove anything from their room during breaks?

Students generally do not have to remove items from their rooms during Thanksgiving, winter or spring breaks, though they may wish to bring items of particular value home with them.

Are there any options for break housing?
Some campus residence halls and apartments stay open over holidays and spring break but that option is available only to students already contracted to live there. We highly recommend your student consider their needs during breaks when filling out their housing contract.
What if my student wants a room reassignment or doesn't get along with his/her roommate?

There is a brief period at the beginning of the fall and spring semesters when students can meet with their residence hall coordinator to discuss room reassignment options. Otherwise, room reassignments are typically not made.

Our staff is available to work with roommates who are having difficulties communicating or getting along. We have seen great success with students who can work through difficult situations and learn how to resolve conflict. Typically, the roommate agreement all parties sign at the beginning of the year will be revisited. Peer mediation is also provided.

What items are not allowed in the residence halls?
A complete list of restricted items is available in the Housing and Residence Life Handbook (PDF). Examples of restricted items include:

  • Any open flame or open element device, such as grills, toasters or toaster ovens
  • Candles (with or without wicks) and incense
  • Air conditioners (other than those owned by the University)
  • Signs considered to be University or government property
  • Halogen lamps, lava lamps, sunlamps and incandescent bulbs
  • Firearms, weapons and/or ammunition
  • Alcohol collections or trophies (pyramids, excessive bottles, cans, cartons)
  • Wireless internet routers
Is bed lofting allowed? How can my student order a lofting kit?

Saint Louis University partners with Renting a bed loft is an easy, affordable way to create additional living space in residence hall rooms, so we highly recommend students take advantage of the service. Students who preorder can even have their furniture set up before move-in day.

When can my returning student apply to live on campus?
Upperclassmen get to choose their housing as early as late fall. Students are notified via their SLU email account with information about the returning student room selection process. You can find additional information at
Who should my student contact if they are having issues with their internet, cable, laundry or other housing facilities?
Contact information for housing staff and guidance for how students should respond to a variety of issues in the residence halls is available through housing and residence life.
Who can I contact if I need additional information?
Please contact the Department of Housing and Residence Life main office via phone at 314-977-2811, via email at or visit us in person at DuBourg Hall, Room 157. Our office is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. In case of an emergency, please contact our Department of Public Safety at 314-977-3000.


Financial Services

How do I make payments on my student's account?

Saint Louis University accepts cash, check, money order and wire transfer as payment. Credit card payments (MasterCard, Amex, Discover, Visa), with a convenience fee, may be made through the Payment Suite via mySLU. Checks should include the student's nine-digit Banner ID number and be made payable to Saint Louis University. A non-refundable $25 fee is assessed for each returned check or ACH payment.

How do I secure my student's registration?

You have the option of paying the balance in full, participating in a payment plan or securing loans in advance of the payment due date. Payments must be received before the due date (postmarked checks are not applicable). For more information, visit

Will my student's financial aid/scholarship change from year to year?
Financial aid packages are reviewed annually but typically do remain the same from year to year. Factors that may affect change would include significant change in expected family contribution (i.e., loss of a job, additional student in college, etc.) or if your student does not meet renewal eligibility requirements for scholarships (GPA, hours completed, continuous full-time undergraduate enrollment). If your family experiences a significant change in financial status, contact the Department of Student Financial Services.
Where can I find general information about the FAFSA and the financial aid application process?

The U.S. Department of Education offers an online Financial Tool Kit outlining information and tips to help you understand your role in your child's financial aid application. The advice includes guidance about how parents make college more affordable, figuring out whether they will qualify for loans, why parents have to be involved when it is the student who is applying for federal student aid and what parent information is reported on the FAFSA form.

Are there ATMs on campus?

U.S. Bank ATMs are located in the Busch Student Center, DuBourg Hall, the Learning Resource Center, Doctor's Office Building, the School of Law and SSM Health/Saint Louis University Hospital.

Where can my student go to cash a check?
Students can cash checks at the U.S. Bank branch on campus in Busch Student Center using their SLU ID as identification. If your student does not have an account at U.S. Bank, the limit is $50 a day, and it must be his or her personal check. If your student is a U.S. Bank account holder, the limit is $250 a day. All SLU students are eligible for the U.S. Bank Billikens Checking Account, which allows them to use their SLU ID as an ATM card.


Employment and Career Planning

How can my student get a job on campus?

Most on-campus jobs are found in Handshake, an online jobs database maintained by SLU's Department of Career Services. The jobs are divided by federal work study and non-federal work study. Students can search for jobs, complete an application, and upload a résumé. We recommend students apply for more than one job and to follow up with the department about one week later.

How does SLU help my student get an internship or find a job after graduation?

SLU's Department of Career Services works closely with faculty and employers to help students gain essential work experience through internships while they are still working on their degree.

While we do not place students into jobs, we do have a database with more than 3,000 employers in St. Louis, across the country and around the world. SLU has a reciprocity agreement with many of the other Jesuit career centers, and our online database, Handshake , also has a search tool that allows students to look for jobs nationwide.

We can help students develop a job search plan, learn how to network, create winning application materials and interview well. In addition, we offer opportunities throughout the academic year for students to connect face-to-face with employers in a variety of ways.

What should my student do if they are having trouble selecting a major or career?
Your student's academic advisor or faculty mentor, as well as SLU's career development specialists, are here to help. You can also assist your student by encouraging them to get involved at SLU as early as possible. Participation in campus clubs, co-curricular activities and internships can help your student develop as a person and focus on career interests.
What if my student no longer likes his/her major?
It is very common for a student to change majors. Encourage your student to make an appointment with a career development specialist as soon as they express doubts or if they express an interest in other areas.
Can I come to the career fair or other career services events at SLU?
While we understand that families have a genuine interest in their students' lives, your presence at these events can undermine your student's career development process and the impression he or she makes to potential employers. Lend moral support, but do it from home.


Health and Wellness

What mental health resources are available for my student?
Whether your student is in need of clinical support from trained professionals, connectedness and a sense of belonging, or spiritual nourishment, there are resources at SLU to support them. Our Mental Health Resources page provides an overview of those resources, as well as tips for maintaining mental health and well-being at SLU.
What immunizations does my student need?
A completed immunization record is required to enroll at Saint Louis University. Find specific requirements through the Student Health Center .
What if my student is not covered by my insurance?

Health insurance is mandatory for all full-time SLU undergraduate students. If your student is not covered by your insurance, he or she will be charged for and will receive coverage under the University Health Plan.

Students must be registered in classes as a full-time student to be recognized in Aetna's system. Please allow two business days after registering full-time to attempt to waive or enroll. Make sure to use the full nine digit Banner ID (including the leading 000) when using Aetna's site.

What if my student already has insurance coverage?

If a student already has other (non-University Health Plan) health insurance coverage, they may submit a waiver request online through Aetna Student Health. They need to have their insurance information available when they submit requests, as they will be asked detailed information about their existing coverage.

The deadline to waive or enroll in the UHP is September 30 for the 2017 fall term or February 14 for the 2018 spring term. Any full-time students who have not waived by the deadline will be automatically enrolled in the UHP. No changes can be made and waiver requests will not be accepted by Aetna after the deadline, so it is very important that students who have other coverage take the necessary action before the deadline to avoid non-reversible premium charges for the UHP.

If a student waives in the fall term, they will not need to waive again for the spring. It is only necessary to waive once per academic year. For more information about the UHP and how to enroll or waive, visit the Student Health Center page.

What should my student do if they are sick?

SLU's Student Health Center and University Counseling Center provide confidential medical treatment, counseling, physical therapy and outpatient services for all students. Office visits require an appointment, which can usually be made the same day by calling student health at 314-977-2323 and University counseling at 314-977-8255. If there is an urgent situation, however, students may walk in to either center.

For hours, locations and additional information, visit the SLU Student Health Center or the University Counseling Center.

Who can my student talk to if they are homesick or having difficulty adjusting to campus life?
Mental health services are available for all Saint Louis University students through the University Counseling Center. Appointments can be made at 314-977-8255 (TALK). In the case of a mental health emergency, a counselor is on call at 314-977-8255.
What should my student do in the event of an emergency or if the Student Health Center or the University Counseling Center is not open?

In the event of a true medical or mental health emergency, students should call 911 immediately and arrange for ambulatory transport to the nearest hospital.

Otherwise, a Saint Louis University nurse is on call at 314-977-2323 after 5 p.m. on weekdays and on weekends and during holidays. The nurse can help your student decide if the condition is a true emergency or can wait until the Student Health Center opens. In the event of a mental health crisis, a counselor is on call at all times and can be reached at 314-977-8255.

What should my student do if they have dietary restrictions?
In partnership with DineSLU, Saint Louis University provides a nutritionist to all students with special dietary needs, free of charge. If your student has medical or dietary restrictions, he or she should contact for an individual consultation. In certain circumstances, a meal plan exemption may be made.
Where can my student go to sign up for exercise classes or recreational activities?
SLU students are automatically members of t he Simon Recreation Center and Salus Fitness Center. SLU's Department of Campus Recreation also oversees club sports, intramurals, and offers health and wellness opportunities throughout the year.


Fraternity and Sorority Life

My student is considering joining a fraternity or a sorority. What do I need to know?

You can assist your student by learning more about Greek Life at SLU. Support your student but allow them to make their own membership decisions. Ultimately, he or she needs to find the chapter that is the best fit for them.

Fraternities and sororities are not for everyone. The membership process can also involve disappointments. Sometimes a prospective member may feel a connection when a chapter does not. Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee that everyone who is interested in a fraternity or sorority at SLU will receive an invitation to membership. However, if your student keeps his or her options open, there is a good chance that a fraternity/sorority chapter can be a rewarding part of their college experience.

Talk with your student about the costs of membership before they join. Discuss who will pay for dues and other chapter-related expenses.

The Greek Life experience changes over time, and fraternities and sororities are different on every campus. If you went to college, fraternity and sorority life probably looks different than it did when you were a student. If you went to SLU, the chapters you were familiar with or involved in may have evolved and changed since you graduated. It is likely that your student’s experience will be different than your own.

My student is a legacy. What does that mean at SLU?
A legacy is a student who has a connection to a specific chapter through an alumnus/ae who is a parent, sibling or grandparent. (Some chapters also consider other relatives such as aunts/uncles, cousins, etc. for legacy status — check with national organization for more information.) SLU chapters may take a student's legacy status into consideration during the membership recruitment process, however it is not a guarantee for membership, nor would a student be excluded from membership in a chapter solely because he or she is not a legacy.
Does my student need a recommendation from a chapter alumnus/a for a fraternity or sorority?

Chapters at SLU welcome recommendations for membership from Greek alumni/ae who are family members, friends, neighbors and other acquaintances. Recommendation letters are not a required part of the recruitment process, however, and each chapter may give them different consideration.

If you would like to send a recommendation, you may contact the chapter directly, or send them to the Student Involvement Center:
Greek Recruitment (specify chapter)
c/o Program Coordinators of Fraternity and Sorority Life
Busch Student Center, Suite 319
20 N. Grand Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63103
For consideration for sorority formal recruitment, all recommendations must be received prior to the first day of recruitment.
I was not in a fraternity or sorority. How can I learn more?
The national umbrella organizations for fraternities and sororities provide great information about the fraternity or sorority experience. We recommend visiting:
What happens once my student accepts a bid?
  • Ask your student to provide you with the name and phone number of the chapter president, new member educator and chapter adviser. These are important contacts for you to keep on hand.
  • If you are assisting with the financial costs of membership, ask your student when and how you should expect to receive a bill and how payments are scheduled and processed. Some chapters use online billing, while others utilize a paper process. Many one-time dues are paid during the first year, so expect it to be the most expensive.
  • Initiation is important. Be supportive and respectful of this time for your student.
  • Attend special weekends for parents and families, as well as special events sponsored by the chapter. It is a great way to take part in the fraternity/sorority experience.
  • Encourage your student to attend programs sponsored by the fraternity/sorority community and the Division of Student Development.
  • Encourage your student to be a part of the University community and to take advantage of its many resources and opportunities.
Will joining a fraternity or sorority impact my student's grades?

While the first year of college can be a challenge to navigate, participation in a fraternity or sorority has been shown to increase student retention at the University level. Many fraternity and sorority chapters offer structured study hours, mentoring and support, time management and study skills workshops.

How much time will being in a fraternity or sorority require of my student?

Typically the first semester is the most time intensive due to the chapter's member education programs. Following initiation, the time commitment will depend on how active your student chooses to become in the chapter.

Members are expected to attend weekly chapter meetings and other mandatory events throughout the year. Other events, such as brotherhood/sisterhood events, service projects, leadership development programs and social events are also a part of membership, but may be optional.

Students who take on leadership roles within the chapter may commit a significant amount of time, however they are still able to balance school, work and other commitments. Current members will be the first to tell you that the more they put into their chapter involvement, the more they get out of their membership.

What does it cost to join a chapter?

Fraternities and sororities collect membership dues that provide for a variety of services and events for members. The first semester/year tends to be the most expensive, as the chapters collect one-time fees that go toward the national organization.

Chapters vary both in their costs and what is included in dues. Most fraternities and sororities offer to arrange payment plans for members to ease the cost over the course of the semester. There also may be scholarships available to active members. As your student explores membership, encourage them to have a conversation about the costs associated with membership and what is included.

How is alcohol use managed in the Greek community?

All fraternities and sororities have strict policies regarding underage consumption at their events. In addition, alcohol is strictly forbidden as part of the membership recruitment process.

Chapters in good standing with the University can host social functions. Events must follow the guidelines and policies of the University, the Student Involvement Center, governing councils and international/national organizations. Each chapter is expected to practice appropriate risk management and create a responsible and safe social environment for its members and guests.

Is hazing involved in Greek membership?
Saint Louis University has a strict anti-hazing policy, as do each of the fraternities and sororities affiliated with the University. For more information about the SLU anti-hazing policy, see the Code of Conduct.

If you suspect that your student is participating in activities that could be considered hazing, please contact the Saint Louis University Department of Public Safety at 314-977-3000. You can also call the toll-free national hazing hotline, 1-888-NOT-HAZE (1-888-668-4293), to anonymously report a hazing incident.

Who is in charge of the fraternity/sorority?

The Greek community at Saint Louis University is self-governing, with chapter members taking responsibility for the leadership among individual fraternities and sororities. Students elected or appointed to officer positions manage the day-to-day operations of the chapter, often with support and mentoring by alumni/ae.

SLU's Student Involvement Center also has program coordinators dedicated to fraternity and sorority life. These full-time staff members oversee the community, advise chapter and council leaders, and provide support to members, leaders and advisers.

In addition, each of our chapters is part of a national fraternity or sorority, which provides governance and an additional layer of support through professional staff at the headquarters, and volunteers on the local, regional and national levels.

I have a question about a specific Greek chapter at SLU.

For chapter-specific questions, consider working with your student to contact the following individuals:

  • Chapter Billing Information: Chapter treasurer/finance officer, chapter financial adviser, chapter adviser
  • Recruitment: Council recruitment officer, chapter recruitment chair, chapter president, chapter recruitment adviser, chapter adviser
  • New Member Program/Chapter Education: New member/associate/pledge educator, chapter president, membership education adviser, chapter adviser
  • Initiation: New member/associate/pledge educator, chaplain/ritual chair, chapter president, chapter adviser

SLU's program coordinators of fraternity and sorority life are also available to answer your questions about the fraternity and sorority community.


Student Responsibility and Conduct

Parents frequently have questions that relate to student responsibility and our campus community standards. Some of the most common questions follow. You may also contact the office of Student Responsibility and Conduct directly at 314-977-7326 or for additional questions.

How are students notified of policies on campus?

The University’s overall policies, community standards and residence hall policies are outlined and available online in the SLU Student Handbook. It is the student's responsibility to review and understand the policies and expectations of student behavior.

How does the conduct process operate?

If a student is documented for being involved in a potential policy violation, he or she will receive an “individual hearing.” At that time, your student will have the opportunity to discuss the incident with the University hearing officer.

This hearing is set apart from any civil or criminal legal process. Our objective is to teach students to accept responsibility for their actions, help them realize the impact of their decisions and to foster positive community values. Students must represent themselves. Attorneys are not permitted. Failure to attend will result in the case being decided in the student’s absence, as well as a failure to comply violation.

Should the student accept responsibility for the charges, he or she will receive sanctions designed to educate them about how their actions impact themselves and others. If a student does not agree with the violation(s) or sanctions, they have three days to appeal. The appeal will be sent to the Student Appeal Board, which is made up of undergraduate students. Its determination is final.

Will I be notified if my student has to attend an individual hearing?
Not unless they receive an underage drinking or drug violation. If this happens, a letter will be sent home after the hearing process is complete. The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act prohibits sharing other information unless the student gives you permission to speak on their behalf.
What kind of consequences can result from my student's misconduct?
Sanctions are assigned based on the violation and the frequency of the violation and can include: disciplinary warning, university censure, disciplinary probation, housing probation (restrictions on the student's ability to live in apartment-style housing), attendance at an alcohol education program, attendance at a Choices class, community service, counseling referrals, loss of privileges, fines or restitution, as well as research and/or reflection papers. For more severe policy violations, such as sexual assault or repeated violations (numerous alcohol or drug violations), students can face suspension or expulsion.
Will my student's conduct impact him or her in the future?
A student's conduct record is cumulative for the duration of their time as a student at SLU and will remain on file for seven years after their last semester attended. Many employers, including government agencies and the military, as well as graduate and professional schools require a student to provide their conduct history before being considered for hire or admittance. Several on-campus leadership programs also perform conduct checks on student applicants.