Top 5 Things to Bring to SLU
Even if you've analyzed your dorm room checklist over and over, you might have left off the most important things you need for a successful start at Saint Louis University.
5. A Doorstop
It is easy to sit in your room, watching Netflix, and thinking about your high school friends, but your residence hall door has a hinge for a reason. You've got to get out. Put a doorstop under it, and open yourself up to all the new experiences college has to offer.
4. Disinfecting Wipes
Sometimes, things get messy. Transitions are sticky, and it helps to have something to clean things up. That goes for more than spilled soda and leaking shampoo.
College is full of challenges. Adjusting to your freshman year might feel overwhelming at times. But don't forget about the university's community. From your new college classmates to your residence hall advisor to your academic advisor, everyone wants you to succeed and can help you clean up any messy situations you get into.
3. Hand Sanitizer
You'll be shaking a lot of hands in your first few weeks at SLU. People in your residence hall, the person sitting next to you at University 101, your professors — there will be lots of friendly faces to greet you when you arrive. And while we all have a lot we want to share, colds aren't one of them.
2. A Planner
There's so much happening on campus that your calendar will be at capacity pretty quickly. With over 200 student organizations at SLU, from Ultimate Frisbee to the Flying Billikens, there's bound to be some that spark your interest. A paper planner or a scheduling app will help you stay involved and caught up on your classes.
1. A Picture of Home
It's a remedy for homesickness and a way for you to share your roots with the rest
of your classmates. Tell stories with the new friends you meet on campus — you never
know what you might have in common.
- 7 Squirrels You'll Meet in College
- 10 Tips for College Success
- Admission Counselor Tips: SLU Counselors' Best College Search Advice
- Best Spots Around SLU: Some of the Coolest Things Near — and Even on — Campus
- College Dorm Room FAQ: What You Need to Know Before Dorm Room Assignments
- Commute to SLU
- Early College Prep: Tips for College-Bound Kids
- How to Be a Roommate: 5 Steps to Help You Get Along with Your College Roommate
- How to Change the World: Make a Difference at a University that Emphasizes Public Service
- How to Get Admitted: We Break Down the Steps, From Application to Interview
- How to Go Greek: What You Need to Know About Rushing Sororities and Fraternities
- How to Pick a Major: Still Deciding on a Future Career? We've Got Some Tips for You.
- How to Plan Your College Search: Tips for Researching College Admission, Financial Aid and More
- How to Prep to Play College Sports: It's More than Talent and Grades
- How to Transfer Colleges: Tips on Switching to a New University or College
- Inside a College Fair: Your First Look at Your Top College or University Choices
- It's Not Too Late to Apply: Learn About SLU's Rolling Admissions Policy
- Scholarships and Service: Scholarships for Students Committed to Community Service
- SLU Scholarships for Freshmen: Saint Louis University Offers More than 10 Scholarships and Awards
- SLU's Team Spirit: What It's Like to Cheer on the Billikens
- The Social Media Accounts You Need to Follow
- The Tests You Need for College: Learn About the ACT and the SAT
- The Value of SLU: Investing in Yourself
- Top 5 Admission Counselor Questions: Questions You Should Be Asking in Your College Interviews
- Top 5 College Choice Tips: Find the Best College Fit for You
- Top 5 College Prep Activities: The Best High School Activities for College Success
- Top 5 Majors at SLU: What Undergraduate Degrees are Most Popular?
- Top 5 Ways to Pay for College: College Financial Aid, Explained
- What Does College Cost? Plan for Tuition, Plus These Expenses
- What to Ask on Campus Tours: College Visit Guides Have the Answers. Ask the Right Questions.
- What's Work Study? Work on Campus with this College Financial Aid Tool