Ellen K. Barnidge, Ph.D., M.P.H.
Associate Professor; Behavioral Science and Health Education
College for Public Health and Social Justice
Authentic engagement from diverse partners is essential for progress toward health equity.- Ellen K. Barnidge, Ph.D., M.P.H.
Public Health and Social Justice, Capstone in Undergraduate Public Health, Assessment, Intervention Development and Evaluation (AIDE I), Introduction to Qualitative Methods
Ph.D., Public Health Studies/Behavioral Science, Saint Louis University
M.P.H., Behavioral Science and Epidemiology, Saint Louis University
B.A., Psychology, College of Holy Cross, Worchester, MA
Community engagement; environment and policy change; health equity; household food insecurity; social determinants of health.
Publications and Media Placements
Jaegers LA, Vaughn MG, Werth P, Matthieu MM, Ahmad SO, Barnidge E. Work-Family Conflict, Depression, and Burnout Among Jail Correctional Officers: A 1-Year Prospective Study. Safety and Health at Work. In press.
2. Barnidge E, Stenmark S, DeBor M, Seligman H. The right to food: building upon “food is medicine”. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 2020.dio.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2020.04.011^
3. Jaegers L, Ahmad S, Scheetz G, Bixler E, Nadimpalli S, Barnidge E, Katz I, Vaughn M, Matthieu M. Total Worker Health® Needs Assessment to Identify Workplace Mental Health Interventions in Rural and Urban Jails. American Journal of Occupational Therapy. 2020. 7403205020p1. 10.5014/ajot.2019.036400.
4. Landfried L, Pithua P, Lewis R, Rigdon S, Jacoby J, King C, Barnidge E, Baskin C. Antibiotic use in goats: role of experience and education of Missouri veterinarians. Veterinary Record. 2020. DOI: 10.1111/jsap.13098. #
5. Barnidge E, Krupsky K, LaBarge G, Arthur J. Food insecurity screening in pediatric clinical settings: a caregivers’ perspective. Maternal and Child Health Journal. /doi.org/10.1007/s10995-019-02785-6, 2019.#,^
6. Green J, Boakye E, Barnidge E, Vaughn M. Armed Conflict in Central America and Immigrant Food Insecurity in the United States. Journal of Epidemiology and Global Health. In press.
7. Jaeger L A, Matthieu M., Werth P, Ahmad SO, Barnidge E, Vaughn, M. Stressed out: Predictors of depression among jail officers and deputies. The Prison Journal. 2019. doi.org/10.1177/0032885519894658
Honors and Awards
- Saint Louis University College for Public Health and Social Justice Annual Research Award, Associate Professor, 2017-2018.
- The Dr. Terry Leet Award for Teaching Excellence. College for Public Health and Social Justice, Saint Louis University, 2014-2015.
Professional Organizations and Associations
Community Work and Service
- Vice Chair, Mid-America Transplant Foundation Board
- Member, Propel Kitchen Board of Directors