Jen Jen Chang, Ph.D., M.P.H.
Professor; Epidemiology & Biostatistics
College for Public Health and Social Justice
Master of Public Health program
PUBH 5030 Methodological Approaches to Understanding Population Health, EPI 5020 Epidemiology Method II, PUBH 2100 Introduction to Global Health, EPI 5280 Perinatal Epidemiology, PUBH 5910 Practice Experience in Public Health
Ph.D. in Maternal and Child Health Epidemiology, University of North Carolina-Chapel
M.P.H. in Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Saint Louis University
BBA in Management Science, University of Iowa
Health disparity and social determinants of maternal and child health and adverse birth outcomes, hypertensive disorders during pregnancy, gestational diabetes, sleep health, and mental health.
Publications and Media Placements
- Anandappa M, Adjei Boakye EA, Li W, Zeng W, Rebmann T, Chang JJ. Racial Disparities in Vaccination for Seasonal Influenza in Early Childhood. Public Health;2018 May;158:1-8. doi: 10.1016/j.puhe.2018.01.030. Epub 2018 Mar 7.
- Yang S, Tan Y, Mei H, Wang F, Li N, Zhao J, Zhang Y, Qian Z, Chang JJ, Syberg KM, Peng A, Mei H, Zhang D, Zhang Y, Xu S, Li Y, Zheng T, Zhang B. Ambient air pollution the risk of stillbirth: A prospective birth cohort study in Wuhan, China. Int J Hyg Environ Health. 2018 Feb 5. pii: S1438-4639(17)30531-X. doi: 10.1016/j.ijheh.2018.01.014.
- Tabet M, Flick LH, Xian H, Chang JJ. Revisiting the Low Birthweight Paradox Using Sibling Data with Implications for the Classification of Low Birthweight. J Public Health (Oxf). 2018;40(4):e601-e607. doi: 10.1093/pubmed/fdy087.
- Tabet M, Flick LH, Xian H, Chang JJ. The Difference in Sibling Birthweight and Neonatal Death: A Population-Based Cohort Study. Am J Perinatol. 2019;36(5):498-504. doi: 10.1055/s-0038-1669949
- Arnold L, Luong L, Rebmann T, Chang JJ. Racial disparity in provider recommendation and flu vaccine uptake during pregnancy. Vaccine. 2019 Apr 24;37(18):2520-2526. doi: 10.1016/j.vaccine.2019.02.014.
- Qian Z, Zhao Q, Ruan Z, Yang Y, Vaughn M, Liang Z, Chang JJ. Ambient PM2.5 and birth outcomes: estimating the association and attributable risk using a birth cohort study in nine Chinese cities. Environment International. 2019 (in press)
- Rohde RL, Luong L, Boakye EA, Chang JJ. Effects of interpregnancy interval and placental abruption in a first pregnancy on maternal and fetal outcomes in a second pregnancy. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2019:1-7. doi: 10.1080/14767058.2019.1586878
- Tabet M, Flick LH, Xian H, Chang JJ. Smallness at Birth and Neonatal Death: Reexamining the Current Indicator Using Sibling Data. Am J Perinatol. 2019 Aug 14. doi: 10.1055/s-0039-1694761.
- Cai M, Liu E, Zhang R, Lin X, Rigdon S, Qian Z, Belue R, Chang JJ. Comparing the performance of Charlson and Elixhauser comorbidity indices to predict in-hospital mortality among a Chinese population. Clin Epidemiol 2020 Mar 18;12:307-316. doi: 10.2147/CLEP.S241610. eCollection 2020.
- Perez M, Chang JJ, Temminh LA, Carter EB, Tuuli MG, Macones GA, Stout MJ. Driving factors of Preterm birth Risk in Adolescents. AJP Rep. 2020 Jul;10(3):e247-e252. doi: 10.1055/s-0040-1715164. Epub 2020 Aug 27.
- Tabet M, Banna S, Luong L, Kirby R, Chang JJ. Pregnancy outcomes after preeclampsia: The effects of interpregnancy weight change. Am J Perinatol. 2020 Jun 10. doi: 10.1055/s-0040-1713000.
- Wang HL, Sun J, Qian ZM, Gong YQ, Zhong JB, Yang RD, Wan CL, Zhang SQ, Ning DF, Xian H, Chang JJ, Wang CJ, Shacham E, Wang JQ, Lin HL. Association between Air Pollution and Atopic Dermatitis in Guangzhou, China: Modification by Age and Season. Br J Dermatol. 2020 Nov 1. doi: 10.1111/bjd.19645. Online ahead of print
Honors and Awards
Chang was a recipient of the NIH KL2 Multidisciplinary Clinical Research Career Development Program Scholar award and has current NIH funding to examine the relationship between sleep duration and postpartum depression.
Professional Organizations and Associations
Dr. Chang's work has been funded by NIH and other non-federal agencies for her work in maternal and child health and sleep Medicine. She also works with China CDC maternal and child health Bureau, Seoul National University School of Medicine, Taiwan CDC and National Health Research Institute.
Community Work and Service
Dr. Chang works closely with St. Louis County Department of Health for the COVID-19 outbreak investigation and COVID-19 vaccine uptake hesitancy. She serves in the Missouri Fetal Infant Mortality Review Committee. She has also worked with a community partner, Parent as Teacher, that leads the field in home-based parent education about child health and development and conducted formative research and developed an educational intervention that seeks to improve parental knowledge and practice of healthy sleep behaviors for their young children.