Michael Rozier, S.J., Ph.D.
College for Public Health and Social Justice
Health Management and Policy
Ethical Leadership in Health Management and Policy, Introduction to Global Health, Ethics of Health Organizations and Health Policy
- Ph.D., Health Management and Policy, University of Michigan
- M.Div., S.T.L., Boston College
- M.H.S., Johns Hopkins University
- B.A., Chemistry, Saint Louis University
Public health ethics, organizational ethics, community benefit, policy framing, population health strategies, community-hospital partnership, and ethics of health technology.
Publications and Media Placements
- Rozier M, Patel K, Cross D. Electronic Health Records as Biased Tools or Tools Against Bias: A Conceptual Model. [Accepted for publication]
- Rozier M, Singer P. The Good and Evil of Health Policy: Moral Rhetoric, Republican Governors, and Medicaid Expansion. American Journal of Bioethics – Empirical Bioethics. 2021; 12(3):145-154.
- McCarthy M, Homan M, Rozier M. There’s No Harm in Talking: Re-establishing the Relationship Between Theological and Secular Bioethics. American Journal of Bioethics. 2020; 20(12):5-13. doi: 10.1080/15265161.2020.1832611
- Rozier M, Willison C, Howell J, Anspach R, Greer A, Greer S. Paradoxes of Professional Autonomy: a Qualitative Study of U.S. Neonatologists from 1978-2017. Sociology of Health and Illness. 2020; 42(8):1821-1836. doi: 10.1111/1467-9566.13169
- Rozier M. Nonprofit Hospital Community Benefit in the U.S.: A Scoping Review from 2010-2019. Frontiers in Public Health. 2020; 8:72. doi: 10.3389/fpubh.2020.00072
- Singer P, Rozier M. Shifting Threats and Rhetoric: How Republican Governors Framed Medicaid Expansion. Health Economics, Policy and Law. 2020 Oct;15(4):496-508. doi:10.1017/S174413312000002X
- Markovitz A, Rozier M, Ryan A, Goold S, Ayanian J, Norton E, Peterson T, Hollingsworth J. Low-value Care and Clinician Engagement in the Medicare Shared Savings Program: A Survey of Frontline Clinicians. Journal of General Internal Medicine. 2020 Jan;35(1):133-141. doi: 10.1007/s11606-019-05511-8
- Rozier M, Singh S. Nonprofit Hospitals’ Process for Community Health Improvement: A Qualitative Study of Leading Practices and Missing Links. Population Health Management. 2020; 23(2): 194-200 doi: 10.1089/pop.2019.0062
- Rozier M, Goold S, Singh S. How Should Nonprofit Hospitals’ Community Benefit Be More Responsive to Health Disparities? AMA Journal of Ethics. 2019; 21(3):e273-280.
- Rozier M, Ghaferi A, Rose A, Simon N-J, Birkmeyer N, Prosser L. Patient Preferences for Bariatric Surgery: Findings from a Survey Using Discrete Choice Methodology. JAMA Surgery. 2019; 154(1):e184375. doi: 10.1001/jamasurg.2018.4375
- Rozier M, Singh S, Jacobson P, Prosser L. Priorities for Investing in Community Health Improvement: A Comparison of Decision Makers in Public Health, Nonprofit Hospitals, and Community Nonprofits. Journal of Public Health Management and Practice. 2019;25(4):322-331. doi: 10.1097/PHH.0000000000000848
- Rozier M. Religion and Public Health: Moral Tradition as both Challenge and Opportunity. Journal of Religion and Health. 2017;56(3):1052-1063 doi: 10.1007/s10943-017-0357-5
- Rozier M. Structures of Virtue as a Framework for Public Health Ethics. Public Health Ethics. 2016;9(1):37-45. doi: 10.1093/phe/phv036
- Rozier M, Willison C, Howell J, Anspach R, Greer A, Greer S. Paradoxes of Professional Autonomy: a Qualitative Study of U.S. Neonatologists from 1978-2017. Sociology of Health and Illness. ePub ahead of print. doi: 10.1111/1467-9566.13169
- Rozier M, Banaszak-Holl J, Kiessling K, Singh S. Funding Community Health Activities: An Experiment Health Foundations’ Priorities to those of Public Health Agencies, Hospitals, and Nonprofit Organizations. Journal of Public Health Management and Practice. 21 Dec 2021. doi: 10.1097/PHH.0000000000001468
- Rozier M, Enard K. Leveraging Community Benefit to Increase the Value of Health Care. Forefront Health Affairs. 26 May 2022.
Recent Digital Publications and Media:
Rozier M. Will we normalize COVID deaths in the same way we tolerate gun violence? America. 25 June 2020.
Rozier M. How the coronavirus can help us reclaim the virtues of self-sacrifice and prudence. America. 14 May 2020.
Rozier M. We must not allow coronavirus to rob us of our humanity. How can we safely preserve it? America. 17 March 2020.
Rozier M. Collective Action on Determinants of Health: A Catholic Contribution. Health Progress. September/October 2019;5-8.
“Ethics of Sharing Personal Geospatial Information.” SLU GeoSpatial Institute. 25 September 2020. [Webinar] (w E Shacham, T Loux, and S Scroggins)
“Liturgy in the Time of the Pandemic.” Loyola Marymount University Center for Religion and Spirituality. 22 July and 29 July 2020. [Webinar] (w G Sunghera and J van Parys)
“SLU Researcher Worries Pandemic Will Be Normalized – Unless Social Norms Change.” St. Louis on the Air. St. Louis Public Radio. 26 June 2020.
“Ethics of COVID-19 Contact Tracing.” EWTN News Nightly. 22 April 2020.
“COVID-19: A Question of Faith.” Fellowships in Auschwitz for the Study of Professional Ethics (FASPE) Webinar Series. 30 March 2020. [Webinar] (w C Anthony and N Collura)
“Our Response to COVID-19.” AMDG: A Jesuit Podcast. 20 March 2020. [Podcast]
Honors and Awards
- EthicalGEO Fellowship, American Geographical Society
- Golden Fellowship in Faith and Science, Yale University St. Thomas More Catholic Center
- Fellowship in Auschwitz for the Study of Professional Ethics
- Student Government Association Faculty Excellence Award
- James Dowdy Memorial Faculty Excellence Award
- College for Public Health and Social Justice Terry Leet Teaching Award
- Visiting Jesuit Chair in Health Systems Administration, Georgetown University
Professional Organizations and Associations
- SSM Health Corporation, Board of Directors and Sponsor Board
- American Society for Bioethics and Humanities
- Academy Health
- Loyola Academy of St. Louis, Board of Members
- Marquette University, Board of Trustees