Michael Rozier, S.J., Ph.D.
College for Public Health and Social Justice
Health Management and Policy
Ethical Leadership in Health Management and Policy, Health Systems and Human Dignity, Ethics of Health Organizations and Health Policy
- Ph.D., Health Management and Policy, University of Michigan
- M.Div., S.T.L., Boston College
- M.H.S., Johns Hopkins University
- B.A., Chemistry, Saint Louis University
Public health ethics, organizational ethics, community benefit, policy framing, population health strategies, community-hospital partnership, and ethics of health technology.
Publications and Media Placements
- Rozier M, Scroggins S, Loux T, Shacham E. Personal Location as Health-Related Data: Public Knowledge, Public Concern, and Personal Action. Value in Health. [Forthcoming]
- Sheth P, Thompson C, Smith A, Bhavsar A, Rozier M. Neither Words nor Images: Health Departments’ and Hospitals’ Use of Twitter During COVID Had Limited Racial Representation and Content on Disparities Decreased Over Time. Journal of Public Health Management and Practice. [Forthcoming]
- Rozier M, Costich J, Valadares K. Incorporating Ethics Lessons from the Pandemic Into Post-Pandemic Curricula. Journal of Health Administration Education. 2023; 39(3):445-466.
- Rozier M. The Role of Mercy in Public Policy. National Catholic Bioethics Quarterly. 2022; 22(2):257-264.
- Rozier M, Patel K, Cross D. Electronic Health Records as Biased Tools or Tools Against Bias: A Conceptual Model. The Milbank Quarterly. 23 Nov 2021. doi: 10.1111/1468-0009.12545
- Markovitz A, Ryan A, Peterson T, Rozier M, Ayanian J, Hollingsworth J. ACO Awareness and Perceptions Among Specialists versus Primary Care Physicians: A Survey of a Large Medicare Shared Savings Program. Journal of General Internal Medicine. doi: 10.1007/s11606-020-06556-w
- Rozier M, Singer P. The Good and Evil of Health Policy: Moral Rhetoric, Republican Governors, and Medicaid Expansion. American Journal of Bioethics – Empirical Bioethics. 2021; 12(3):145-154.
- McCarthy M, Homan M, Rozier M. There’s No Harm in Talking: Re-establishing the Relationship Between Theological and Secular Bioethics. American Journal of Bioethics. 2020; 20(12):5-13. doi: 10.1080/15265161.2020.1832611
- Rozier M, Willison C, Howell J, Anspach R, Greer A, Greer S. Paradoxes of Professional Autonomy: a Qualitative Study of U.S. Neonatologists from 1978-2017. Sociology of Health and Illness. 2020; 42(8):1821- 1836. doi: 10.1111/1467-9566.13169
- Rozier M, Ghaferi A, Rose A, Simon N-J, Birkmeyer N, Prosser L. Patient Preferences for Bariatric Surgery: Findings from a Survey Using Discrete Choice Methodology. JAMA Surgery. 2019; 154(1):e184375. doi: 10.1001/jamasurg.2018.4375
- Rozier M. Religion and Public Health: Moral Tradition as both Challenge and Opportunity. Journal of Religion and Health. 2017;56(3):1052-1063 doi: 10.1007/s10943-017-0357-5
- Rozier M. Structures of Virtue as a Framework for Public Health Ethics. Public Health Ethics. 2016;9(1):37- 45. doi: 10.1093/phe/phv036
Honors and Awards
- Teaching Excellence Award in Healthcare Management and Leadership, AUPHA
- EthicalGEO Fellowship, American Geographical Society
- Golden Fellowship in Faith and Science, Yale University St. Thomas More Catholic Center
- Fellowship in Auschwitz for the Study of Professional Ethics
- Student Government Association Faculty Excellence Award
- James Dowdy Memorial Faculty Excellence Award
- College for Public Health and Social Justice Terry Leet Teaching Award
- Visiting Jesuit Chair in Health Systems Administration, Georgetown University
Professional Organizations and Associations
- SSM Health Corporation, Board of Directors and Sponsor Board
- American Society for Bioethics and Humanities
- Academy Health
- Loyola Academy of St. Louis, Board of Members
- Marquette University, Board of Trustees