Two options are available for SLU’s Master of Arts degree in philosophy: thesis and nonthesis. The nonthesis program requires 30 credit hours approved by
the chair, a minimum of 15 graduate credit hours, a minimum of 18 credit hours in
philosophy (12 of which must be graduate) and completion of the review synthesis course
(three credit hours).
The thesis program requires 30 credit hours, including:
- 24 credit hours of graduate-level courses (12 of which must be credit hours in ancient,
medieval, modern and contemporary periods)
- Six credit hours of thesis research
- Completion of a three-hour written examination on the history of philosophy covering
three of the four historical periods
- Completion of thesis
- One-hour oral examination on master's thesis and coursework
- Reading proficiency in French, German or other foreign language
The master’s program may also be completed in partnership with the College of Philosophy and Letters.