SLU’s Team Spirit: What It’s Like to Cheer on the Billikens
The noise is deafening. The fans flood the court. The team mascot is swept up and carried on top of the crowd. That's team spirit. That's what it's like to be a Billiken fan at Saint Louis University.
SLU's Superior Sports Fans
From free tickets to home games to a student section that blows the roof off Chaifetz Arena and echoes across campus from Hermann Stadium, cheering on the Billikens is a highlight of campus life. In fact, SLU is the only NCAA Division I school in St. Louis. Find out more about SLU's sports teams.
When it comes to basketball, one of SLU's signature sports, the spirit squad's name says it all. They aren't just SLU fans; they're SLUnatics.
"The energy at Chaifetz can be seen and felt coming from the student section," said SLUnatic Daniel Tarchala. "When the crowd is pumped, the team can feel it."
The SLUnatics, and their equivalents for soccer fans, Legion 1818, make games an amazing experience. The SLUnatics put 10,000 T-shirts on the seats of Chaifetz Arena for the annual Billiken Blizzard fan-participation event and don blue body suits and face paint during the Billiken Blue Out game.
SLU Student Perks
While alumni and St. Louisans vie for tickets to home men's basketball games, some tickets are reserved just for students. SLU students also get in free to women's basketball games and all soccer and volleyball games.
Hungry? Check out the free food and drinks at pep rallies before selected men's basketball games. And don’t miss the chance to take a picture with an adorable mascot.
Ready to be a sports fan at SLU? Here's what else you need to know
What's a Billiken?
The Billiken is everywhere. It's the mascot, the namesake of SLU's NCAA teams and is painted everywhere from the floor of Chaifetz Arena to the sides of fan's faces.
Who are the Saintsations?
The Saintsations are SLU's cheer and dance team. While you're getting to know students who make more than just a hobby of being a sports fan, check out the Billiken Band, which will have you humming SLU's fight song, "When the Saints Go Marching In," all night long.
What are the school colors?
Blue and white.
What is it like to play sports at SLU?
It's not just all headlines and competing on a national stage. SLU's student athletes posted a 3.37 GPA in the 2015-16 academic year. Find out what you need to do to be ready.
How good are SLU's teams?
SLU men's basketball team has made nine NCAA tournament appearances, while the women posted a record-breaking season in 2016, netting the conference co-championship and making a third-round NCAA tournament appearance. The men's soccer team has won 10 national championships, more than any other college team in the U.S.
- 7 Squirrels You'll Meet in College
- 10 Tips for College Success
- Admission Counselor Tips: SLU Counselors' Best College Search Advice
- Best Spots Around SLU: Some of the Coolest Things Near — and Even on — Campus
- College Dorm Room FAQ: What You Need to Know Before Dorm Room Assignments
- Commute to SLU
- Early College Prep: Tips for College-Bound Kids
- How to Be a Roommate: 5 Steps to Help You Get Along with Your College Roommate
- How to Change the World: Make a Difference at a University that Emphasizes Public Service
- How to Get Admitted: We Break Down the Steps, From Application to Interview
- How to Go Greek: What You Need to Know About Rushing Sororities and Fraternities
- How to Pick a Major: Still Deciding on a Future Career? We've Got Some Tips for You.
- How to Plan Your College Search: Tips for Researching College Admission, Financial Aid and More
- How to Prep to Play College Sports: It's More than Talent and Grades
- How to Transfer Colleges: Tips on Switching to a New University or College
- Inside a College Fair: Your First Look at Your Top College or University Choices
- It's Not Too Late to Apply: Learn About SLU's Rolling Admissions Policy
- Scholarships and Service: Scholarships for Students Committed to Community Service
- SLU Scholarships for Freshmen: Saint Louis University Offers More than 10 Scholarships and Awards
- The Social Media Accounts You Need to Follow
- The Tests You Need for College: Learn About the ACT and the SAT
- The Value of SLU: Investing in Yourself
- Top 5 Admission Counselor Questions: Questions You Should Be Asking in Your College Interviews
- Top 5 College Choice Tips: Find the Best College Fit for You
- Top 5 College Prep Activities: The Best High School Activities for College Success
- Top 5 Majors at SLU: What Undergraduate Degrees are Most Popular?
- Top 5 Ways to Pay for College: College Financial Aid, Explained
- Top 5 Things to Bring to SLU
- What Does College Cost? Plan for Tuition, Plus These Expenses
- What to Ask on Campus Tours: College Visit Guides Have the Answers. Ask the Right Questions.
- What's Work Study? Work on Campus with this College Financial Aid Tool