Put your bachelor's degree to use in the classroom while you earn your teaching certification through Saint Louis University's M.A. in Teaching.
Whether you have an undergraduate degree in math, science or English, Saint Louis
University's Master of Arts in Teaching with Alternative Certification allows you
to take a teaching job while pursuing your graduate degree. SLU’s Master of Arts in
Teaching with Alternative Certification is a two-year program designed to enable students
with undergraduate degrees in content areas (not education) to seek teaching certification
through the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education via an alternative
• Coursework expands knowledge in content areas and pedagogy, current educational practices, and the processes of teaching and learning.
• Missouri Alternative Certification is embedded in the program. Coaching from the School of Education's faculty allows for real-time feedback on your teaching methods and classroom management.
Explore Three Unique MAT Pathways
Join a cohort of passionate and faithful educators dedicated to the Jesuit mission of being men and women for others. Sharpen your skills with specialized coursework designed for Catholic school teachers. Automatic scholarships covering up to one-third of the MAT degree are awarded to those working in Catholic schools. For more information, contact Angela Moret: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Billiken Teacher Corps (BTC)
The Billiken Teacher Corps is a unique service-learning opportunity for faith-driven college graduates to have a transformative impact in under-resourced Catholic schools in the St. Louis area. BTC Fellows live the Jesuit Mission of being men and women for and with others. For two years, the fellows live in an intentional faith community while teaching full time and earning their Master of Arts in Teaching degree with full tuition-remission. Learn more about The Billiken Teacher Corps (BTC). For more information, contact Angela Moret: email@example.com
Offers a unique opportunity for students to teach in one of SLU’s partner school districts while pursuing a master’s degree, all while earning a full-time teaching salary of $38,000 or more. Once admitted into the MAT program, our faculty advisors assist students with arranging job interviews at partner schools. We offer a competitive tuition rate of $600 per credit hour for the MAT Public master’s program so you can earn a high-quality degree for less than $10,000 per year. For more information, contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org or 314-977-3292.
- Coaching from the School of Education's faculty allows for real-time feedback on your teaching methods and classroom management.
- Summer courses begin in early summer, preparing you to enter the classroom in August.
- Courses are more concentrated during the summer, with only one evening course and a practicum requirement during fall and spring semesters, allowing you to focus on teaching during the academic year.
- Upon completion of the program, earn Missouri teaching certification and see an average $3500 teaching salary increase.