Put your bachelor's degree to use in the classroom while you earn your teaching certification through Saint Louis University's M.A. in Teaching.
If you have an undergraduate degree in biology, chemistry, English, history, math,
music or social sciences, Saint Louis University's Master of Arts in Teaching with
Alternative Certification allows you to take a teaching job while pursuing your graduate
degree. SLU’s Master of Arts in Teaching with Alternative Certification is a two-year
program designed to enable students with undergraduate degrees in subject areas (not
education) to seek teaching certification through the Missouri Department of Elementary
and Secondary Education via an alternative route.
• Coursework expands knowledge in subject content areas and pedagogy, current educational practices, and the processes of teaching and learning.
• Missouri Alternative Certification is embedded in the program. Coaching from the School of Education's outstanding faculty allows for real-time feedback on your teaching methods and classroom management.
Explore Four Unique MAT Tracks
Join a cohort of passionate and faithful educators dedicated to the Jesuit mission of being men and women for others. Sharpen your skills with specialized coursework designed for Catholic school teachers. Automatic scholarships covering up to 2/3 of the MAT degree are awarded to those working in Catholic schools. For more information, contact Angela Moret: email@example.com
The Billiken Teacher Corps (BTC)
Is a unique service-learning opportunity for faith-driven college graduates to have a transformative impact in under-resourced Catholic schools in the St. Louis area. BTC Fellows live the Jesuit Mission of being men and women for and with others. For two years, the fellows live in an intentional faith community while teaching full time and earning their Master of Arts in Teaching degree with full tuition-remission. For more information, contact Angela Moret: firstname.lastname@example.org
Offers a unique opportunity for students to teach in one of SLU’s partner school districts while pursuing a master’s degree, all while earning a full-time teaching salary of $38,000 or more. Once admitted into the MAT program, our faculty advisors assist students with arranging job interviews at partner schools. We offer a competitive tuition rate of $585 per credit hour for the MAT Public master’s program so you can earn a high-quality degree for less than $10,000 per year. For more information, contact us at: email@example.com or 314-977-3292.
Teach for America (TFA)
Designed for individuals who have already applied to and been accepted into the national Teach for America program. For more information about the TFA program, visit their website: https://www.teachforamerica.org/
- Coaching from the School of Education's outstanding faculty allows for real-time feedback on your teaching methods and classroom management.
- Summer courses begin in early summer, preparing you to enter the classroom in August.
- Courses are more concentrated during the summer, with only one evening course during fall and spring semesters, allowing you to focus on teaching during the academic year.
- Upon completion of the program, earn Missouri teaching certification and see an average $3500 teaching salary increase.