Kae Newcomb, M.F.A.
Department of Fine and Performing Arts
M.F.A., Brooklyn College, City University of New York, Concentration in drawing and painting.
School of Visual Arts — Drawing and painting.
Arts Students League of New York.
M.B.A., St. Louis University, St. Louis, Mo.
B.S., St. Louis University, St. Louis, Mo.
Art and Museum Education
- International Institute Madrid, Madrid. American art and culture.
- The Global Institute CIEE "Art and Activism" Art History course.
- Museo Nacional de Arte Reina Sofia 2008- 2019 Taught the Equipo program for teens.
- International Photography Center, NY 2000 — 2007 Faculty for digital and darkroom photography at the ICP school and offsite at The Point Bronx Community Center and the Friends of Island Academy program for youth transitioning from incarceration.
- MoMA, NY 2002 - 2006 Museum gallery lecturer and art educator for In The Making studio art program for teens.
- Guggenheim Museum, NY 2002 — 2006 Artist residencies in Bronx public schools.
- El Museo del Barrio, NY 2000 — 2003 Museum educator and artist residency in a Bronx public school.
- Brooklyn Arts Council, NY 1998 — Museum in a School program.
Art and Community — bringing art to a non-traditional art public
- Member of the four-women art collective that engages in performative actions and exhibitions. Collaborations include the women's groups from various villages in Extremadura and the students of the Instituto Allende, San Miguel de Allende, Mexico.
- MASQUELIBROS — Founding member of the MQL Artist Book Fair. This five year project was created to bring public awareness to Artist Books through exhibitions, publications, workshops, and an annual artist book fair.
- Travelling Digital Photography Workshops. Created and taught photography program for teens at risk of social exclusion and adults in addiction recovery programs. The project was award a CAIXA "Obra Social" Grant.
Publications and Media Placements
Artist Books, Pequeñoser Galería, Grau, Asturias 2020.
Where the Wind Blows, 13ESPACIOarte, Seville 2017.
The Wait, Rina Bowen Gallery, Madrid, 2013.
Floating World, Nuevoarte Gallery, Seville, 2012.
5 Spaces, Rina Bowen Gallery, Madrid, 2009.
Selected Group Exhibitions
From Lausanne to Beijing, 12th International Fiber Art Biennial Exhibition, Yunnan, China 2022.
And Without Playing, I Play Inmoderatus Collective. Santa Catalina Castle. Cádiz 2021.
Earth, Political Subject, Centro de Historias de Zaragoza, 2021.
Pegando la hebra…texturas de lo textil 2019, 13EspacioArte, Sevilla 2019.
VIII Biennial of Contemporary Textile Art, WTA, Costume Museum, Madrid, 2019 INMODERATUS, Barjola Museum, Gijon, Spain 2018.
VII International Biennale of Contemporary Textile Art WTA, Uruguay 2017.
Artists Books, Archibald Contemporary Art, Buenos Aires, Argentina, 2017.
INMODERATUS, 13 ESPACIOArte, Seville 2017.
Object Object Book, Antonio Pérez Foundation, Cuenca 2016.
Masquelibros and Other Readable Objects. Saida Gallery, Tetouan, Morocco, 2016.
Artist Books, Espacio Valverde, Madrid 2014.
Taking Places, Floor4Art Gallery, New York, 2011.
Conceptual Stories, Floor4Art, New York, 2010.
Fibers, The Costume Museum, Madrid, 2008.
Participation in Art Fairs
JustMAD, ESTAMPA, MASQUELIBROS, Singular Artist Book Fair, ARTMADRID, Room for Art Fair, and ARTSLIBRIS.
Honors and Awards
INMODERATUS, exhibition project awarded the I Convocatoria pública para la presentación
de proyectos expositivos del Ayuntamiento de Alicante. Exhibition in the exhibition
space, Lonja del Pescado 2016.
Obra Social "La Caixa" grant for Cultural Programs with an Social Impact for the project, Travelling Digital Photography Workshops. 2009.
Hilla Rebay Teaching Artist Award, 2005, Guggenheim Museum, New York.
Grant and Artist in Residence, Women's Studio Workshop - Summer Arts Institute, Rosendale, 2005.