Saint Louis University School of Social Work students in Social Work and Applied Behavior Analysis programs must prepare for their practicum the semester before participating. SLU partners with many organizations in the St. Louis area to provide fieldwork experiences to our School of Social Work students.
The process for beginning practicum differs for B.S.S.W. and M.S.W. students.
You will be matched with a field liaison and meet to discuss your areas of interest, issues to consider, and how to move forward. Before this meeting, we recommend the following steps:
- Familiarize yourself with the documents related to your degree, including the Field Policy and Procedures Manual, Practicum Checklist and Practicum Requirements.
- Create an account on the Collaborative Database and do preliminary research. Bring three to four sites of interest to discuss with your liaison. You may also peruse this list of practicum postings for ideas.
- Consider topics and experiences you want to explore in your practicum.
- Consider whether you have limitations for practicum, such as accessibility/disability accommodations, availability constraints, transportation, etc.
You will receive the Confirmation of Practicum form from your field liaison by email after your planning meeting. If you do not receive this link, please contact your liaison. You must complete the Confirmation of Practicum by the posted deadline so that the Office of Field Education can confirm your site and field instructor.
Register in Banner for the following courses:
- Your practicum course in Banner
- Practicum section of your field liaison
- Any co-requisite courses
Once your Request for Liaison form is approved, the Office of University Compliance and Ethics will provide access to HIPAA training. You must complete HIPAA training for your practicum hours to be counted.