Top 5 College Choice Tips: Find the Best College Fit for You
Getting acceptance letters from your top college choices is awesome. Having to choose between them? Not so much. If you're in love with all your favorite universities (and they love you back), you have some hard choices to make. Here are five techniques you can use to narrow the field.
5. Social Media
College visits last only a day or two, but social media allows you to follow your top picks as long as you like. Go beyond the campus tours to see what else a school and its students have posted on Facebook. Follow up on campus life through Facebook, or get updates on events and deadlines on Twitter. At Saint Louis University, you can even like and Tweet with the school’s mascot, the Billiken! Check SLU out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and Snapchat (the_billiken) for an inside glimpse.
4. Alumni Associations
Even if the college you're dreaming of is hours away, odds are it has alumni right in your own backyard. Find local branches of alumni associations through LinkedIn or a quick Google search. Recent alums can tell you about life on campus, while more seasoned grads can give you an idea of where you can head with your degree. SLU has graduates living in every American state and 149 countries, with alumni clubs everywhere from California and New York to Taiwan and Thailand. Look them up and ask away!
3. Mission Statements
You know what's important to you, but what's important to the universities you’re considering? Mission statements aren't always included in mailings or flashing at the top of a website, but they are worth seeking out. College mission statements tell you what that institution — and the people working there — value most. Read about SLU's mission.
Compare your top colleges to see how they stack up in rankings by well-respected organizations. Don't forget to look at exactly what factors are being ranked and how they are weighted. Then look a little deeper. Check out the reputation of the programs that interest you most at those schools. No school is tops at everything, so decide which rankings and other factors matter to you most.
Visiting a university's campus makes it easy to imagine what it would be like walking
to class there. You see (and even sleep in) the dorms, taste the food and talk to
current students and faculty who can answer all your questions. (Read more about what to ask on a college visit.) Visiting a college in person is best, but if you can't make it across the country, or even across the world, technology
has you covered. Most universities now also offer video or online virtual tours of
campus. You can chat with a counselor and research colleges online, too.
- 7 Squirrels You'll Meet in College
- 10 Tips for College Success
- Admission Counselor Tips: SLU Counselors' Best College Search Advice
- Best Spots Around SLU: Some of the Coolest Things Near — and Even on — Campus
- College Dorm Room FAQ: What You Need to Know Before Dorm Room Assignments
- Commute to SLU
- Early College Prep: Tips for College-Bound Kids
- How to Be a Roommate: 5 Steps to Help You Get Along with Your College Roommate
- How to Change the World: Make a Difference at a University that Emphasizes Public Service
- How to Get Admitted: We Break Down the Steps, From Application to Interview
- How to Go Greek: What You Need to Know About Rushing Sororities and Fraternities
- How to Pick a Major: Still Deciding on a Future Career? We've Got Some Tips for You.
- How to Plan Your College Search: Tips for Researching College Admission, Financial Aid and More
- How to Prep to Play College Sports: It's More than Talent and Grades
- How to Transfer Colleges: Tips on Switching to a New University or College
- Inside a College Fair: Your First Look at Your Top College or University Choices
- It's Not Too Late to Apply: Learn About SLU's Rolling Admissions Policy
- Scholarships and Service: Scholarships for Students Committed to Community Service
- SLU Scholarships for Freshmen: Saint Louis University Offers More than 10 Scholarships and Awards
- SLU's Team Spirit: What It's Like to Cheer on the Billikens
- The Social Media Accounts You Need to Follow
- The Tests You Need for College: Learn About the ACT and the SAT
- The Value of SLU: Investing in Yourself
- Top 5 Admission Counselor Questions: Questions You Should Be Asking in Your College Interviews
- Top 5 College Prep Activities: The Best High School Activities for College Success
- Top 5 Majors at SLU: What Undergraduate Degrees are Most Popular?
- Top 5 Ways to Pay for College: College Financial Aid, Explained
- Top 5 Things to Bring to SLU
- What Does College Cost? Plan for Tuition, Plus These Expenses
- What to Ask on Campus Tours: College Visit Guides Have the Answers. Ask the Right Questions.
- What's Work Study? Work on Campus with this College Financial Aid Tool