What To Ask on Campus Tours
Got real questions about what college is like? Campus tour guides have answers. You'll get a lot out of visiting colleges, but at Saint Louis University, the campus tour guides are current undergraduate students — so they won't just tell you about dorms, they can also tell you where to get a good grilled cheese sandwich, if they feel safe walking around campus at night and if you can paint your dorm room. (Sorry; the answer to that that last one is no, by the way.)
What Happens on a Campus Tour?
"Showing off campus is like showing off my home," says one tour guide, who at SLU are known as “ambassadors.” Here are some of the most popular questions our ambassadors hear, and a few suggestions for things to ask on your tour:
- Why did you choose SLU?
- How often do students go home on the weekends?
- What's it like in the residence halls?
- Oh, and what's a Billiken?
But SLU's tour leaders will also give you a personal look at campus. "I try to keep my campus tours in the first person," says another ambassador. "I tell my guests, 'I like to go to Busch Student Center; this is where I sit in class; this is where my friends come to throw a Frisbee around; that kind of stuff.'"
Don't Ask These College Questions
Are there any questions you shouldn't ask on a college tour? Keep the focus on yourself, not your guide. So stay away from asking them about their GPA, their SAT score, their financial aid package and how much weight they gained when they came to college (Yikes, MYOB).
But never hesitate to ask a question about the university's academics, campus life or even the architectural features you notice around campus. (At SLU, highlights include the gorgeous view inside College Church and Samuel Cupples House — some people think it looks like Hogwarts.)
"The best part is when the campus tour ends and a student says to me that she can tell how much I love my school," a SLU ambassador says.
At SLU, there are actually two ways to connect with current students. One is on the
campus visit. The other is the Billiken Buddy program, where high school students hang out with
undergrads for a night in the residence halls and shadow them to classes.
- 7 Squirrels You'll Meet in College
- 10 Tips for College Success
- Admission Counselor Tips: SLU Counselors' Best College Search Advice
- Best Spots Around SLU: Some of the Coolest Things Near — and Even on — Campus
- College Dorm Room FAQ: What You Need to Know Before Dorm Room Assignments
- Commute to SLU
- Early College Prep: Tips for College-Bound Kids
- How to Be a Roommate: 5 Steps to Help You Get Along with Your College Roommate
- How to Change the World: Make a Difference at a University that Emphasizes Public Service
- How to Get Admitted: We Break Down the Steps, From Application to Interview
- How to Go Greek: What You Need to Know About Rushing Sororities and Fraternities
- How to Pick a Major: Still Deciding on a Future Career? We've Got Some Tips for You.
- How to Plan Your College Search: Tips for Researching College Admission, Financial Aid and More
- How to Prep to Play College Sports: It's More than Talent and Grades
- How to Transfer Colleges: Tips on Switching to a New University or College
- Inside a College Fair: Your First Look at Your Top College or University Choices
- It's Not Too Late to Apply: Learn About SLU's Rolling Admissions Policy
- Scholarships and Service: Scholarships for Students Committed to Community Service
- SLU Scholarships for Freshmen: Saint Louis University Offers More than 10 Scholarships and Awards
- SLU's Team Spirit: What It's Like to Cheer on the Billikens
- The Social Media Accounts You Need to Follow
- The Tests You Need for College: Learn About the ACT and the SAT
- The Value of SLU: Investing in Yourself
- Top 5 Admission Counselor Questions: Questions You Should Be Asking in Your College Interviews
- Top 5 College Choice Tips: Find the Best College Fit for You
- Top 5 College Prep Activities: The Best High School Activities for College Success
- Top 5 Majors at SLU: What Undergraduate Degrees are Most Popular?
- Top 5 Ways to Pay for College: College Financial Aid, Explained
- Top 5 Things to Bring to SLU
- What Does College Cost? Plan for Tuition, Plus These Expenses
- What's Work Study? Work on Campus with this College Financial Aid Tool