The museum is open to the public, following protocols set by Saint Louis University based on current guidelines from the city’s Department of Health.
The historic Samuel Cupples House on the campus of Saint Louis University in St. Louis, Missouri serves as a gallery for SLU's collection of fine and decorative art dating from before 1919.
The Eleanor Turshin Glass Collection is shown throughout the house, which was once the home of wealthy St. Louis entrepreneur Samuel Cupples. Construction of the house and stables began in 1888 and the house was completed in 1890.
Acquired by SLU in 1946 and originally known to students as the Chouteau House, the building was used as a student center — the basement once hosted a bowling alley and bar — and for academic advising, among other functions. In 1973, Maurice McNamee, S.J. took on the task of restoring the house to its original appearance.
Cupples House was placed on the National Historic Register in 1976.
The McNamee Gallery, located on the lowest level of Cupples House, hosts exhibitions of art by SLU students and faculty from the fine and performing arts department, as well as visiting artists.
Walk-in visits to Cupples House are welcome for groups of all sizes.
To construct in today's currency
Cost for SLU to buy the home in 1946