The pediatric and internal medicine allergy and immunology divisions provide an allergy and immunology fellowship training program.
The division also regularly provides electives for pediatric residents and medical students. Division members are active in the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology (AAAAI), the American College of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology (ACAAI), and the World Allergy Organization (WAO) serving on committees, presenting talks and abstracts.
The division provides clinical care of allergic and immunologic diseases, including:
- Allergic conjunctivitis
- Eosinophilic esophagitis/gastroenteritis
- Allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis
- Primary immunodeficiency disorders
- Allergic and nonallergic rhinitis
- Atopic dermatitis (eczema)
- Food allergy
- Drug allergy
- Latex allergy
- Adverse reaction to vaccines
- Insect allergy
- Hypersensitivity pneumonitis
- Sinusitis, fungal sinusitis
The immunodeficiency at SSM Health Cardinal Glennon Children's Hospital is a referral center for the Jeffrey Modell Foundation (JMF) and Immunodeficiency Foundation (IDF). The division works with the Bone Marrow Transplantation Division in transplantation of severe T-cells.
The Allergy and Immunology Division has developed special clinics to perform food and drug challenges to evaluate for these allergic diseases.
The Allergy and Immunology Division maintains a Clinical Immunology Laboratory as a reference laboratory to pathology that is CAP and CLIA certified. The laboratory performs diagnostic cellular functional studies, including lymphocytes proliferation, cellular cytotoxicity and cytokine synthesis. In addition, specialized studies to analyze T-cell signaling, CD40L expression and NBT are available.
Allergy and Immunology Division members are active in the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America, St. Louis Chapter. The division helps coordinate with the AAFA St. Louis Chapter an annual asthma screening for at-risk participants in the St. Louis Cardinals' Redbird Rookies Little League.
- Primary Immune Deficiency Treatment Consortium
Source: NIH U54 AI082973
PI: Morton Cowan, MD
Center PI: Alan P. Knutsen MD
- Jeffrey Modell Diagnostic & Research Center for Primary Immunodeficiencies
Source: Jeffrey Modell Foundation
Center PI: Alan P. Knutsen MD
- ProMetic Biotherapeutics, Inc
“A Two-Cohort, Open-Label, Prospective, Multicenter Study of the Safety, Tolerability, Efficacy and Pharmacokinetics of ProMetic BioTherapeutics Immune Globulin Intravenous (Human) 10% in Subjects with Primary Immunodeficiency Diseases “
Center PI: Alan P. Knutsen MD
- Knutsen AP. Allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis in asthma. Exp Rev of Clin Immunol 13(1):11-14, 2017. PMID 27599560 January
- de la Morena MT, Leonard D, Torgerson T, Cabral-Marques O, MD, Slatter M, Aghamohammadi A, Chandra S, Murguia-Favela L, Bonilla F, Kanariou M, Damrongwatanasuk R, Kuo C, Dvorak CC, Meyts I, Chen K, Kobrynski L, Kapoor N, Richter, MD, DiGiovanni D, MD, Dhalla F, MD, Farmaki E, Speckmann DC, Espanol T, Shcherbina A, Hanson C, Litzman J, Routes J, Wong M, Fuleihan R, Seneviratne SL, Small TN, Janda A, Bezrodnik L, Seger R, Raccio AG, Edgar JDM, Chou J, Abbott J, van Montfrans J, Gonzalez-Granado LI, Bunin N, Kutukculer N, Gray P, Gisela S, Pasic S, Aquino V, Wysocki C, Abolhassani H, Gruebaum E, Dorsey M, Cunningham-Rundles C, Knutsen AP, Sleasman J, Chapel H, Ochs H, Filipovich A, Cowan M, Gennery A, Cant A, Notarangelo L, Roifman C. Long term outcomes of 176 patients with X-linked hyper IgM syndrome. J Allergy Clin Immunol 139:1282-1292, 2017. PMID 27697500 April
- Borte M, Melamed I, Pulka G, Pyringer B, Knutsen AP, Ochs HD, Kobayashi RH, Kobayashi AL, Gupta S, Strach M, Smith W, Pituch-Noworolski A, Moy J. Efficacy and safety of human intravenous immunoglobulin 10% (Panzyga) in patients with primary immunodeficiency diseases: a two-stage multicentre, prospective, open-label study. J Clin Immunol 37:603-612, 2017 PMID 28755067 August
- Dhandha MM, Siegfried EC, Knutsen AP. Treatment of selective antibody deficiency with IVIG resulting in decreased frequency of Streptococcal infection and improvement of guttate-psoriasis. Dermatol Online J 23(9):1-6, 2017. August
- Caruthers C, Fernandes H, Shams A, Rodrigues J, Bhatla D, Knutsen AP. Outcomes for umbilical cord blood transplantation in severe combined immunodeficiency disorders: Ten-year experience. Pediatr Allergy Pulmol Immunol 30(3):171-180, 2017. September
- Heimall J, Logan BR, Cowan MJ, Notarangelo L, Griffith LM, Puck JM, Kohn D, Pulsipher MA, Parikh S, Martinez C, Kapoor N, O’Reilly R, Boyer M, Pai SY, Goldman F, Burroughs L, Chandra S, Kletzel M, Thakar M, Connelly J, Cuvellier G, Davila B, S hereck E, Knutsen A, Sullivan K, DeSantes K, Gillio A, Haddad E, Petrovic A, Quigg T, Smith A, Stenger E, Yin Z, Shearer WT, Fleisher T, Buckley RH, Dvorak CC. Immune reconstitution and survival of 100 SCID patients post hematopoietic cell transplant: A Primary Immune Deficiency Treatment Consortium Natural History Study. Blood 130(25):2718-2727, 2017 PMID 29021228. December
- Kelly BT, Knutsen AP, Routes JM. Difficult cases: bronchiectasis. J Allergy Clin Immunol In Pract 6(1):315-316, 2018. PMID 29310762 January-February
- Melamed I, Borte M, Trawnicek L, Kobayashi A-L, Kobayashi RH, Knutsen A, Gupta S, Smits W, Pituch-Noworolska A, Strach M, Pulka G, Ochs H D, Moy JN. Pharmacokinetics of a novel high-yield human intravenous immunoglobulin 10% in patients with primary immunodeficiency diseases: analysis of a phase III, multicentre, prospective, open-label study. Eur J Pharm Sci 118:80-86, 2018. PMID 29522908 March
- Lee J, Becker B, Kirby A, Knutsen AP. Chromosome 1q23.3q31.1 deletion associated with decreased newborn screening of T cell receptor rearrangement circles (TRECs). Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol in press
- Knutsen AP. IgG subclass deficiency. UpToDate 14.2: 1-8, February 27, 2017
- Knutsen AP. IgG subclasses: Physical properties, genetics, and biologic functions. UpToDate 14.2: 1-8, March 9, 2017
- Knutsen AP, Temprano J, Bhatla D, Slavin RG. Hypersensitivity pneumonitis and eosinophilic lung diseases. In: Wilmott R, Boat T, Bush V, Chernick V, Deterding RR, Ratjen F (editors), Kendig’s Disorders of the Respiratory tract in Children, 9th Edition, Saunders Elsevier Inc, Philadelphia, Chapter 65 2018
- Foster KJ, Rodrigues JM, Lee J, Powell S, Azmeh R, Knutsen AP. Periodic fever, aphthous stomatitis, pharyngitis, adenitis syndrome at a single children's hospital. submitted
- Haddad E, Logan BR, Griffith LM, Buckley RH, Parrott RE, Dvorak CC, Puck J, Prockop SE, Kapoor N, Abdel-Azim H, Hanson IC, Martinez C, Bleesing J, Chandra S, Smith AR, Pai S-Y, Jyonouchi S, Sullivan K, Haight AE, Tumlin AG, Burroughs L, Saldana BJD, Seroogy C, Petrovic A, Shyr DC, Quigg TC, Gillio AP, Decaluwe H, Kletzel M, Knutsen A, B Moore T, Aquino V, Davis JH, Yu LC, Kang EM, Schroeder ML, Shereck E, Craddock JA, Connelly JA, Bednarski II JJ, Goldman F, Porteus MH, Fleisher T, Kohn DB, Malech HL, Pulsipher MA, Shearer W, Szabolcs P, Thakar M, Lugt MV, Yin Z Notarangelo LD, Cowan MJ, O'Reilly RJ. Genotype, phenotype and T cell counts at one year predict survival and long term immune reconstitution after transplantation in severe combined immune deficiency (SCID) - the Primary Immune Deficiency Treatment Consortium (PIDTC). BMT Tandem Meetings February 23, 2017, Orlando, FL. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 23(3):S133-134, 2017.
- Paris K, Haddad E, Hussain I, Darter A, Knutsen AP, Kobrnyski L, Wasserman R, Engl W, Rabbat CJ, Leibl H, McCoy B, Yel L. Efficacy, safety, and tolerability of the new human subcutaneous immunoglobulin (SCIG 20%) in pediatric patients (pts) with primary immunodeficiency diseases (PIDD) during the North American (NA) Phase 2/3 Study. CIS 2017: March 23-26, 2017; Seattle, WA
- Foster K, Lee J, Powell S, Azmah R, Knutsen AP, Rodrigues J. Periodic fever, aphthous stomatitis, pharyngitis, adenitis syndrome at a single children's hospital. Pedatr Acad Soc Meeting, May 6-9, 2017, San Francisco, CA
- Paris K, Haddad E, Hussain I, Darter A, Knutsen AP, Kobrnyski L, Wasserman RL, Engl W, Rabbat CJ, Leibl H, McCoy B, Yel L. Efficacy, adverse events, and tolerability of the new human subcutaneous immunoglobulin 20% in pediatric patients with primary immunodeficiency diseases During the North American Pivotal Study. IgNS 2017: October 5-8, 2017, Las Vegas, NV
- Leiding JW, Logan BR, Yin Z, Arbuckle E, Bleesing JJ, Sullivan KE, Heimall J, Burroughs LM, Chandrakasan S, Yu L, Oshrine BR, Cuvelier G, Thakar M, Chen K, Shenoy S, Saldaña BD, Weinacht K, Bram R, Boulad F, Quigg T, Dvorak CC, Knutsen A, Chong H, Miller H, de la Morena MT, DeSantes K, Cowan MJ, Notarangelo LD, Kohn DB, Stenger E, Pai S-Y, Puck JM, Kapoor N, Pulsipher MA, Haddad E, Rawling D, Griffith LM, Shearer WT, Malech HL, Parikh S, Marsh RA, Kang EM. Resolution of CGD related colitis after allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation in patients with Chronic Granulomatous Disease – early results from the 6903 study of the Primary Immune Deficiency Treatment Consortium (PIDTC). Am Soc Blood Marrow Tandem Meeting (ASBMT) February 21-25, 2018, Salt Lake City, UT.
- Sosa A, Lee A, Kariuki B, Gan Q, Guzmán M, Knutsen A, Bellone, C, Montaño AC.. How to decrease Immune Response to Enzyme Replacement Therapy? Pediatric Academic Societies (PAS) 2018 Meeting, May 5 - 8, in Toronto, Canada
- Azmeh R, Leipzig JR, Rodrigues JM, McLaughlin AM, MacKrell K, Han RN, Boakye EA, Buchanan PM, Dykewicz MS, Becker BA. Twenty-one year trends in the treatment of pediatric acute severe asthma by Pediatric Emergency Medicine and Critical Care Program Directors. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2017 Feb 139:2 pAB95.
Bradley A. Becker, M.D.
- “Asthma in the Schools”, Missouri Association of School Nurses 60th Annual Spring Conference, Renaissance St. Louis Airport Hotel, Saint Louis, MO, April 8, 2017.
- “Mendelian Susceptibility to Mycobacterial Disease (MSMD)”, Annual JMF Conference CME Course: Primary Immunodeficiency Diseases, Saint Louis University School of Medicine, Saint Louis, MO, May 12, 2017.
- “Eosinophilic Esophagitis: Update and Presentation of SSM Health Cardinal Glennon CPIC Data”, Pediatric Gastroenterology Conference, Saint Louis University School of Medicine, Saint Louis, MO, July 26, 2017.
- “Go feed your babies peanuts! An update on peanut and food allergy”, Saint Louis University School of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, Grand Rounds, SSM Health Cardinal Glennon Children’s Hospital, St. Louis, MO., November 1, 2017.
- “DiGeorge Anomaly” 8th Annual JMF Conference Primary Immunodeficiency, St. Louis, MO 5-4-2018
Alan P. Knutsen, M.D.
- “Difficult Cases: Bronchiectasis”, 2017 AAAAI Annual Meeting, Atlanta, GA, 3-3-2017
- “IgG Therapy: Writing the Orders to Optimize the Outcome”, 2017 AAAAI Annual Meeting, Atlanta, GA, 3-6-2017
- “Newborn Screening of SCID in Missouri”, 7th Annual JMF Conference Primary Immunodeficiency, St. Louis, MO 5-12-2017
- “Adenosine Demaninase Deficiency” 7th Annual JMF Conference Primary Immunodeficiency, St. Louis, MO 5-12-2017
- “Work up and Management of Immunodeficiency Syndromes” 5th Annual James and Nancy Cassidy Symposium, Columbia, MO 9-22-2017
- “Leading the Way” CSL Meeting Columbus, OH 11-8-2017
- “Allergic Bronchopulmonary Asperillosis: The Term Fails US”, 2018 AAAAI Annual Meeting, Orlando, FL 3-5-2018
- “Very Early Onset Inflammatory Bowel Disease” 8th Annual JMF Conference Primary Immunodeficiency, St. Louis, MO 5-4-2018
- “Chronic Granulomatous Disease” 8th Annual JMF Conference Primary Immunodeficiency, St. Louis, MO 5-4-2018