Joanne C Langan, Ph.D., RN, C.N.E.
Professor; Former Associate Dean, Undergraduate and Pre-Licensure Education (2013-2019)
Disaster Preparedness, Curriculum Development, Leadership/Management, Leadership and Policy, Public Health
- B.S., Education, Quincy University
- B.S.N., Nursing, University of Southern Mississippi
- M.S.N., Nursing Administration, George Mason University
- Ph.D., Nursing Administration, George Mason University
- Nursing Education Certificate, George Mason University
- Certified Nurse Educator, National League for Nursing
Dr. Langan’s clinical expertise is in Adult Medical/Surgical and Community-based nursing. Her research and interests involve disaster preparedness, response and recovery and qualitative methods.
Publications and Media Placements
- Langan, J.C. & Krieger, M. M. (In press) Staffing needs and associated costs in times of disaster: An integrative review. Nursing Economic$.
- Charney, R., Bender, A., Langan, J.C., Zimmerman, R. S., Lavin, R. P. & Veenema, T.G. (In press) Ready to respond: A survey of interdisciplinary healthcare students and administrators on disaster management competencies. Disaster Medicine and Public Health Preparedness.
- Veenema, T., Lavin R.P., Schneider-Firestone, S.,Couig, M.P., Langan, J.C., Qureshi, K.,Scerpella, D. & Sasnett, L. (2019). National assessment of nursing schools and nurse educators’ readiness for radiation emergencies and nuclear events. Disaster Medicine and Public Health Emergency Preparedness. DOI:10.1017/dmp.2019.17.
- Lavin, R.P., Veenema, T., Langan, J.C., Charney,R. L., Zimmerman, R. S. & Bender, A. (2019). Zika and Flint water public health emergencies: Disaster training toolkits relevant to pregnant women and children. The Journal of Perinatal & Neonatal Nursing. DOI:10.1097/JPN.0000000000000418.
- Langan, J. C., Lavin, R. P., Griffin, A. R., Veenema, T. G. & Dobalian, A. (2019). From brainstorming to strategic plan: The framework for the Society for the Advancement of Disaster Nursing. Nursing Administration Quarterly, 43(1), 84-93.
- Langan, J. C. & Krieger, M. M. (2018). Survivor notification of post-disaster mental health services: An integrative review. Issues in Mental Health Nursing. DOI: 10.1080/01612840.2018.1426065
Honors and Awards
P.I. HRSA Scholarships for Disadvantaged Students, 2016-2020 ($2.1 million)
P.I. Increasing Faculty Resources and Student Capacity Through shared Faculty Expertise. Missouri State Board of Nursing & Missouri Department of Higher Education. Nursing Education Incentive Program (NEIP) 2019-2020 ($150,000)
Professional Organizations and Associations
- American Red Cross, Board Member
- American Nurses Association
- Association of Community Health Nursing Educators
- Midwest Nursing Research Society
- Missouri Nurses Association
- National League for Nursing
- Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
- Sigma Theta Tau International