Kristine L'Ecuyer, Ph.D., RN, CNL
Associate Dean, Undergraduate and Prelicensure Education; Associate Professor
Pre-licensure AMSN, post-licensure MSN-CNL, clinical nursing leadership courses, capstone practicum courses, Evidence Based Practice
- B.S.N., University of Missouri - Columbia
- M.S.N., University of Alabama - Birmingham
- Ph.D., Education, Saint Louis University
Dr. L’Ecuyer has published in the areas of preceptor training and competency, preceptors perceptions of nursing students with learning disabilities in the clinical setting, interprofessional education, certification and outcomes of the CNL role, and nursing leadership.
Publications and Media Placements
- L’Ecuyer, K. & Young, E. (2022). Cardiac Vascular Nurse Certification Review. Springer.
- L’Ecuyer, K., Subramaniam, D. S., Reangsing, C., Dubois, J. (2022). In review. Psychometric testing of the Preceptor Self-Assessment Tool (PSAT)-40 for nursing preceptors. Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing.
- Bultas, M., L’Ecuyer, K. (2022) In press. A longitudinal view of perceptions of entering nursing practice during the COVID-19 pandemic. Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing.
- Joyce, L., L’Ecuyer, K., Rubbelke, C. (2022) In press. Pastoral care providers introduce spirituality to nursing students in a mock code simulation. Journal of Christian Nursing.
- SmithBattle, L., L’Ecuyer, K., Meyer, G., Shatto, B. (2021). The quest for workload equity in nurse faculty teaching. Nursing Outlook, 69, 43-49.
- L’Ecuyer, K. M., Subramaniam, D. S., Reangsing, C. (2020). Development of the preceptor Self- Assessment Tool (PSAT) and use of the Content Validity Index. Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing, 51(10), 469-476.
- Bender, M., L’Ecuyer, K., &Williams, M. (2019). A clinical nurse leader competency framework: Concept mapping competencies across policy documents. Journal of Professional Nursing, 35 (2019), 431-439.
- Hammonds, L.S., et al., L’Ecuyer, K. (2019). Leading change, advancing health: Modeling the Institute of Medicine report. Creative Nursing. In Press.
- L’ Ecuyer, K. (2019). Perception of nurse preceptors of students and new graduates with learning difficulties and their willingness to precept them in clinical practice (Part 2). Nurse Education in Practice. (In Press).
- L’ Ecuyer, K. (2019). Clinical education of nursing students with learning difficulties: an integrative review (Part 1). Nurse Education in Practice. 34, 173-184.
- Shatto, B., Meyer, G., L’Ecuyer, K. (2018). Experiences of Master’s prepared clinical nurse leaders at three years post-graduation. Journal of Professional Nursing. (In press) doi.org/10.1016/j.profnurs.2018.06.001
- Bertram, J., L’Ecuyer, K., Shatto, B., Carril, K. (2018). Advancing Soft Skills: Leadership seminars for clinical nurse leader students. Creative Nursing. 24(2), 110-115.
- L’ Ecuyer, K., Hyde, M., Shatto, B. (2018). Preceptors’ Perception of Role Competency. Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing, 49(5), 233-240. Doi: 10.3928/00220124-20180417-09
- L’Ecuyer, K., von der Lancken, S., Malloy, D., Meyer, G., & Hyde, M. (2018). Review of state board of nursing rules and regulations for nurse preceptors. Journal of Nursing Education, 57(3), 134-141.
- Shatto, B., L’Ecuyer, K., Quinn, J. (2017). Retention of content utilizing a flipped classroom approach. Nursing Education Perspectives, 38(4), 206-208.
- L’Ecuyer, K. M., Shatto, B. J., Hoffmann, R. L., Crecelius, M. L. (2016). The certified clinical nurse leader in critical care. Dimensions of Critical Care Nursing, 35(5), 248-254.
- L’Ecuyer, K. M., Pole, D., Leander, S. E. (2015). The use of PBL in an interprofessional education course for health care professional students. Interdisciplinary Journal of Problem-Based Learning, 9(1), 9-18.
- Koetting, C., L’Ecuyer, K., Benz, M (2015). Nurse practitioner student preceptor orientation via a WIKI. Journal of Nursing Education and Practice, 5(2), 124-130.
- Lach, H.W., Lorenz, R. A., L’Ecuyer, K. M. (2014). Aging muscles and joints: Mobilization. Critical Care Nursing Clinics of North America, 26(1), 105-113.
- Krampe, J, L’Ecuyer, K., and Palmer, J. (2013). Development of an online orientation course for preceptors in a dedicated education unit program. The Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing, 44(8), 352-356.
Honors and Awards
- Midwest Nursing Research Society, Nursing Education Research Interest Group, Advancement of Science Award, 2020
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing, CNL Educator Award, 2020
- Winner, Excellence in Nursing, Educator Category, St. Louis Magazine (2017)
- Nurse of the Year, Educator Category, March of Dimes (2015)
- SLU Star Award, Saint Louis University (2014)
Professional Organizations and Associations
- AACN, The Essentials Implementation Steering Committee (2021- present)
- Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE), Evaluator (2021-present)
- Fellow, Elevating Leaders in Academic Nursing (ELAN) Program (2019-2020)
- Clinical Nurse Leader (CNL), CNC Board Certified (2011-present)
- Commission on Nurse Certification (CNC), Numerous CNC committee memberships: Board Chair, Vice chair, finance and appeals committee, marketing, CNL ambassador, item-writing, CNL Job Analysis, Expert panel on CNL recommended practice experiences (2015- present)
- Fellow, National Research Mentoring Network (NRMN); Professional Mentoring Skills Enhancing Diversity (PROMISED) (2016-2017)
- Fellow, Culturally Responsive Teaching Academy, Saint Louis University (2016-2017)
- Missouri Nurses Foundation (MNF), Board of Directors (2016-Present)
- Reviewer; Journal of Nursing Education, Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing, Nursing Education Perspectives, and Journal of Nursing Care Quality
- Certified Clinical Nurse Specialist, Critical Care, AACN Board Certified (2003-2015)
- Clinical Nurses Leaders Association (CNLA)
- American Nurses Association (ANA)
- Missouri Nurses Association (MONA)
- Alpha Sigma Nu, Jesuit Honor Society Saint Louis University
- Midwest Nursing Research Society (MNRS)
- Council of Nurse Leaders (St. Louis)
- American Association of Critical Care Nurses
- Greater St. Louis Chapter, American Association of Critical Care Nurses Sigma Theta Tau, Delta Lambda Chapter