Fred Niederman, Ph.D.
Shaughnessy Endowed Professor
Department of Management
Ph.D. in Business Administration (Management Information Systems), University of Minnesota
MBA, University of Minnesota
B.A. in English Literature, University of California-Santa Barbara
Philosophy of Science Applied to Information Systems, IT Computer Cersonnel, Ethics, Computer Mediated Group Systems, Project Management
- Review for US Department of Labor Standard Occupational Classification for Computer Occupations (2001 - 2016)
- Participant, Project Management Curriculum Resources Workshop -- PM-2 Design, sponsored by Project Management Institute, Alexandria, Virginia (2016)
Publications and Media Placements
"An Immodest Proposal – Going ‘All in’ on Replication Research in Information Systems",
with Brendel, A.B. and Diederich, S. European Journal of Information Systems, January
2022. DOI: 10.1080/0960085X.2021.1944822
“The Quest for Innovation in IS Research: Recognizing, Stimulating, and Promoting Novel and Useful Knowledge". with Grover, V. Journal of AIS, accepted November 2020.
“A Minimalist View of Theory: Why This Promises Advancement for the IS Discipline,” The DATA BASE for Advances in Information Systems, accepted September 2020.
“Representing Meta-theory in Management Information Systems Studies,” with March, S., The DATA BASE for Advances in Information Systems, 2019.
“On the Co-Evolution of Information Technology and Information Systems Personnel,” The DATA BASE for Advances in Information Systems, with Ferratt, T. and Trauth, E., January 2015.
Honors and Awards
- Selected as Fellow of Association of Information Systems (2020)
- Inducted into “Circle of Compadres” by the KPMG PhD Project Information Systems Doctoral Student Association (2006)
- Journal of AIS, Senior Editor of the Year, Editor of Annual Best Paper (2016 and 2018)
- Saint Louis University Business School Research Award (2004, 2007, 2011, 2019)
- Saint Louis University Business School Service Award (2011, 2017)
Professional Organizations and Associations
- Editor in Chief of Communications of Association for Information Systems journal (2020 - 2023)
- Chair, ACM Special Interest Group on MIS (2017 - 2021)
- Editorial Board Departmental Co-Editor, IS Project Management, Project Management Journal (2014 - 2020)
- Senior Editor for Journal of Association for Information Systems (2008 - 2019)
- Co-Program chair, International Conference on Information Systems (2000)
- Facilitator/Coordinator, AIS College of Senior Scholars (2012 - 2016)
Community Work and Service
- Advisory board member, “Prepare.AI,” Barnes-Jewish Hospital/Washington University in St. Louis (2019 - 2020)
- Founding member, Gateway Higher Education Consortium on Cybersecurity, St. Louis, MO (2017 - 2019)
- Served in Togo, West Africa in US Peace Corps