Jintong Tang, Ph.D.
Mary Louise Murray Endowed Professor of Management; Professor
Department of Management
Ph.D. in Management, University of Alabama
M.S. in Management Information Systems, Governors State University
B.A. in English, Tianjin Foreign Studies University-China
Entrepreneurial alertness, entrepreneurial orientation, gender and entrepreneurship
Publications and Media Placements
Tang, J., Yang, J., Ye, W., & Khan, S. 2021. Now is the time: The effects of linguistic
time reference and national time orientation on innovative new ventures. Journal of
Business Venturing, 36(5): 106142.
Baron, R.A., Tang, J., Tang, Z., & Zhang, Y. 2018. Bribes as entrepreneurial actions: Why underdog entrepreneurs feel compelled to use them. Journal of Business Venturing, 33(6): 679-690.
Tang, Z., & Tang, J. 2016. Can the media discipline Chinese firms’ pollution behaviors? The mediating effects of the public and government. Journal of Management, 42(6): 1700-1722.
Tang, Z., & Tang, J. 2012. Stakeholder-firm power difference, stakeholders’ CSR orientation, and SMEs’ environmental performance in China. Journal of Business Venturing, 27(4): 436-455.
Tang, J., Kacmar, M., & Busenitz, L. 2012. Alertness in the pursuit of new opportunities. Journal of Business Venturing, 27(1): 77-94.
Baron, R.A., & Tang, J. 2011. The role of entrepreneurs in firm-level innovation: Joint effects of positive affect, creativity, and environmental dynamism. Journal of Business Venturing, 26(1): 49-60.
Baron, R.A., & Tang, J. 2009. Entrepreneurs’ social skills and new venture performance: Mediating mechanisms and cultural generality. Journal of Management, 35(2): 282-306.
Honors and Awards
- Fr. Thomas M. Knapp, S.J. Distinguished Faculty Member Award (2022)
- Dean's Curriculum Innovation Grant (2022)
- Chaifetz School of Business Teaching Innovation Award (2018, 2021)
- Sister Shirley Kolmer Memorial Grant for Community Impact (2018, 2022)
- Distinguished Alumni Finalist, Governors State University (2021)
- Best Paper Award, Academy of Management (2009, 2020)
Professional Organizations and Associations
- Senior Editor, Asia Pacific Journal of Management (2022 - 2024)
- Editor for Asia Pacific Journal of Management Special Issue on Entrepreneurial Alertness (2022 - 2024)
- Editorial advisory board for International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behavior and Research (2009-Present)
- Editorial review board for Journal of Business Venturing (2021 – present)
- Outside Evaluator for Austrian Science Fund (2017 - 2018) and Research Grants Council of Hong Kong (2021)
Community Work and Service
Promoting local, underserved, female, and refugee entrepreneurship by:
- Inviting female and minority entrepreneurs to share their entrepreneurial journeys on campus
- Organizing workshops connecting female and minority entrepreneurs with international, female students interested in entrepreneurship
- Preparing entrepreneurship webinars/resources for refugee entrepreneurs with International Institute