The Ability Allies in Action: Pre-Kindergarten-Eighth Grade Curriculum, designed by grade level, provides educators with learning objectives aligned to state standards and materials to promote inclusion for their students.
The curriculum is divided into four sections following Washington and Evan’s (1991) Model for Becoming an Ally. The curriculum includes a set of suitcases that contain lesson plans, books and materials aligned with the state standards to educate students on visible and invisible disabilities. Through hands-on activities, videos, journaling and discussions, students will be introduced to individuals with visible and invisible disabilities.
After utilizing the Ability Allies in Action: Pre-Kindergarten-Eighth Grade Curriculum, students will be able to:
- Develop an awareness of visible and invisible disabilities.
- Develop an understanding of accessibility.
- Understand inclusive language and its importance.
- Identify ways to become allies for inclusion in their school environment.
- Examine their school culture and brainstorm ideas to build a more inclusive learning community.
- Affect change in the lives of others in their community through their actions.
The curriculum is made possible through the generous financial support of Scott and Diane Southard and Wells Fargo Advisors.