Mathematics, (Minor) (Madrid)
Students at Saint Louis University who wish to minor in mathematics have two options: the traditional mathematics minor or the engineering mathematics minor.
Both are designed for students who wish to augment their major field of study with math courses and can be completed at SLU-Madrid. Those majoring in engineering can obtain the engineering mathematics minor by adding just a few courses.
Mathematics Minor and Engineering Mathematics Minor
There are three options for students minoring in mathematics at SLU-Madrid: the traditional mathematics minor, the engineering mathematics minor and the actuarial mathematics minor.
A minor in mathematics should consist of:
- MATH 1510: Calculus I
- MATH 1520: Calculus II
- MATH 2530: Calculus III
- MATH 2660: Principles of Mathematics
- MATH 3120 : Introduction to Linear Algebra
- One further course in upper-division mathematics chosen with attention to prerequisites
Engineering Mathematics Minor
Students seeking a minor in engineering mathematics must complete the three semesters of calculus and also complete four upper-division courses in subjects of importance to engineers, which, in Madrid campus, include:
- MATH 3110: Linear Algebra for Engineers (offered spring semesters only)
- MATH 3270: Advanced Mathematics for Engineers
- MATH 3550: Differential Equations
- MATH 3810: Probability and Statistics for Engineers
- MATH 3850: Foundations of Statistical Analysis
- MATH 4310: Introduction to Complex Variables
- MATH 4570: Partial Differential Equations (offered fall semesters only)
Other upper-division mathematics courses may fulfill course requirements for the engineering mathematics minor, subject to approval by the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science. Students must meet the prerequisites for all courses selected.
Mathematics provides students with the analytical skills and reasoning to succeed in multiple fields, including accounting, finance, economics, medicine and engineering.
SLU-Madrid is committed to providing quality Jesuit education at an affordable price. Tuition rates at the Madrid Campus are approximately 40 percent lower than comparable private universities in the U.S.
If you have questions or would like to speak with a financial aid officer, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply to minor in mathematics at Saint Louis University, you must have a minimum GPA of 2.0 and complete a declaration of major/minor form, available in the Madrid Office of the Registrar.