Saint Louis University's School of Medicine Summer Scholars Program is designed to further expose interested youth to medicine and health care. The School of Medicine has hosted the Summer Scholars Program for more than 10 years.
About the Program
During the three-week program, students meet with a variety of health care professionals. Some of the specialties may include: family medicine, orthopaedics, emergency medicine, surgery, pediatrics, transplant surgery, internal general medicine, pathology, dietitians and nursing.
The program is coordinated with the assistance of first-year medical students. In addition to career exploration, students:
- Participate in a cadaver demonstration
- Take a tour of Saint Louis University’s campus and the St. Louis area
- Complete a research project
- Participate in a community service project
- Receive several hours of ACT preparation
How to Apply for the Summer Scholars Program
Registration opens Feb. 1, 2023, and closes March 15, 2023.
Program application coming soon!
Please pay online after you have been notified of your acceptance into the Summer Scholars Program. Applicants will be notified by phone and/or email of their acceptance into the program by April 15, 2023.
Online Payment will become available once applicants have been notified of acceptance.
To request additional information, please contact Dr. Tim Murrell at email@example.com. Potential applicants must apply by March 15, 2023.
The program will take place from June 5-23, 2023.
The Summer Scholars Program will take place in person. Subject to change.
The program is provided to eligible applicants at a cost of $500. Program costs include ACT prep and all program activities. Needs-based financial aid may be available for some students. Please inquire by contacting Dr. Timothy Murrell at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To be eligible, students must:
- Be interested in pursuing a career in medicine or health care
- Have a minimum GPA of 2.5
- Complete the online application form
- Submit an essay explaining their personal interest in the medical profession (200-500 words, double-spaced)
- Submit one letter of recommendation from a counselor, science or math teacher
- Be able to attend all three weeks of the program
- Attend the orientation with a parent/legal guardian on June 2, 2022 from 3-4:30pm.