Saint Louis University's School of Medicine Summer Scholars Program is designed to further expose interested youth to medicine and health care. The School of Medicine has hosted the Summer Scholars Program for more than ten years.
About the Program
During the three-week program, students meet with a variety of health care professionals. Some of the specialties may include: family medicine, orthopaedics, emergency medicine, surgery, pediatrics, transplant surgery, internal general medicine, pathology, dietitians and nursing.
The program is coordinated with the assistance of first-year medical students. In addition to career exploration, students:
- Participate in a cadaver demonstration
- Take a tour of Saint Louis University’s campus/St. Louis area
- Complete a research project
- Participate in a community service project
- Receive several hours of ACT preparation
How to Apply for the Summer Scholars Program
To request additional information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Potential applicants must apply by June 7, 2021.
The program will take place from June 14-July 2, 2021.
The Summer Scholars Program will take place in person. Subject to change.
The program is provided to eligible applicants at a cost of $250. Program costs include: ACT prep and all program activities. Needs based financial aid may be available for some students. Please inquire email@example.com.
To be eligible, students must:
- Be interested in pursuing a career in medicine or health care
- Have a minimum GPA of 2.5
- Complete the online application form
- Submit an essay explaining their personal interest in the medical profession (200-500 words, double-spaced)
- Submit one letter of recommendation from a counselor, science or math teacher
- Be able to attend all three weeks of the program
- Attend the orientation with a parent/legal guardian on June 11, 2021 from 3-5pm.