Saint Louis University School of Medicine Summer Scholars Program is designed to further expose interested youth to medicine and healthcare. The School of Medicine has hosted the Summer Scholars Program for over ten years.
During the three-week program students meet with a variety of healthcare professionals. Some of the specialties may include: family medicine, orthopaedics, emergency medicine, surgery, pediatrics, transplant surgery, internal general medicine, pathology, dieticians and nursing.
The program is coordinated with the assistance of first-year medical students. In addition to career exploration:
- Students participate in a cadaver demonstration
- Take a tour of Saint Louis University’s campus/St. Louis area
- Complete a research project
- Participate in a community service project
- Physician shadowing/volunteering (junior and seniors only)
- Receive several hours of ACT preparation
How to Apply for the Summer Scholars Program
To request additional information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Potential applicants must apply by March 27, 2020.
The program will take place from June 1 to June 19, 2020.
The Summer Scholars Program will take place at the School of Medicine at Saint Louis University.
The program is provided to eligible applicants at a cost of $500. Program costs include: breakfast and lunch, ACT prep and all program activities. Needs based financial aid may be available for some students.
To be eligible, students must have:
- Minimum GPA 2.5
- Complete the online application form
- Submit an essay explaining your personal interest in the medical profession (200-500 words, double spaced)
- Submit one letter of recommendation from a counselor, science or math teacher
- Must be able to attend all three weeks of the program
- Parent/legal guardian and student must attend the orientation on May 29, 2020
- Interested in pursuing a career in healthcare