Cara L. Wallace, PhD, LMSW, APHSW-C
School of Social Work
Graduate Interprofessional Gerontology Certificate Coordinator
School of Social Work
Values and Ethics; Death, Dying, & Grief; Aging/Health courses; Clinical Concentration courses
- Ph.D., The University of Texas at Arlington
- M.S.W., The University of Texas at Arlington
- B.S.W., Texas Christian University
- Hospice and end-of-life care; family communication; barriers to care; health care decision making; older adults.
- In 2020, Dr. Wallace was selected by Cambia Health Foundation as a Cambia Health Foundation Sojourns Leadership Scholar. (Add link into text: https://www.cambiahealthfoundation.org/funding-areas/sojourns-cohorts/2020/cara-l-wallace-.html )
- In 2020, Dr. Wallace was funded by NINR/NIH for her R21 project The Impact of Live Discharge from Hospice on Patients & Caregivers
Publications and Media Placements
- Cara Wallace, Ph.D., LMSW was interviewed by St. Louis Public Radio's "St. Louis On the Air" about how to broach important topics related to end-of-life care.
- Wallace, C.L., Wladkowski, S.P., Gibson, A., & White, P. (2020). Grief during the COVID-19 Pandemic: Considerations for Palliative Care Providers. Journal of Pain & Symptom Management, 60(1), e70 – e76. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2020.04.012
- Wallace, C.L., Cruz-Oliver, D.M., Ohs, J., & Hinyard, L. (2018). Connecting the personal experiences of loss and professional practices in advance care planning and end-of-life care: A survey of providers. American Journal of Hospice and Palliative Medicine, 35(11), 1369-1376. doi: 10.1177/1049909118783736.
- Wallace, C.L., Adorno, G., & Stewart, D. (2018). End-of-life care in nursing homes: A qualitative interpretive meta-synthesis. Journal of Palliative Medicine, 21(4), 503-512, doi: 10.1089/jpm.2017.0211.
- Wallace, C.L., Swagerty, D., Barbagallo, M., Vellas, B., Bong Cha, H., Holmerova, I., Morley, J.E. (2017). GARN/IAGG International survey of end-of-life care in nursing homes. JAMDA, 18(6),465-469. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jamda.2017.04.002.
- A full list of publications can be found here.
Honors and Awards
- 2020 Award for Excellence in Psychosocial Research (Social Work Hospice and Palliative Care Network)
- 2019 Faculty Mentorship Award (Saint Louis University, Graduate Student Association)
- 2019 Assistant Professor Research Award (Saint Louis University, CPHSJ)
- Cara Wallace, PhD, LMSW is one of five researchers awarded seed grants by The Gary and Mary West Foundation to advance palliative care research.
- Saint Louis University, Gateway Geriatric Education Center, 2016 Geriatric Leadership Scholar
- Saint Louis University,Office for the Vice President of Research and Partnerships 2021 Junior Faculty Scholarly Works Award
Professional Organizations and Associations
- Association for Gerontology Education in Social Work, board member (2017-2019)
- Council on Social Work Education, member
- Gateway End-of-Life Coalition, board member (2016 - present)
- Gerontological Society of America, member
- Journal of Social Work in End-of-Life and Palliative Care, board member (2017-present)
- Social Work Hospice and Palliative Care Network, member
- Shiley Institute of Palliative Care; Member of 2020/2021 Symposium Committees
- Palliative Care Research Cooperative Group (PCRC)—Junior Investigative Member