Ilwoo Ju, Ph.D.
Advertising Principles and Practices, Communication Research Methods, Advertising Research and Strategic Planning, Strategic Communication (Graduate)
Ph.D., University of Tennessee-Knoxville, 2014
M.A., University of Georgia, 2009
Ju conducts research and teaches in the areas of advertising and strategic marketing
communications, and health/risk communication. Recently, his work has primarily focused
on socially-responsible advertising practices and health message effectiveness in
His research specifically focuses on examining factors related to information processing and cognitive structure (e.g., memory, beliefs, attitudes, intentions, knowledge, heuristic inference, schemata, and personality) to address consumer response to marketing communications with a focus on the contexts of health and risk communications.
Publications and Media Placements
Ju, I. (2017). Effects of Consumer Prescription Drug Advertising Skepticism: The Moderating Role of Risk Disclosure Location. International Journal of Pharmaceutical and Healthcare Marketing, 11(4). 395-411.
Ju, I. & Lee, H. (2017). Effects of Comparative Claims in Private Label Over-the-Counter Drug Packaging: The Moderating Role of Price Consciousness. Journal of Communication in Healthcare, 10(2), 88-99.
Ju, I. (2017). Thinking about Fair Balance: How Prescription Drug Advertising Disclosure Prominence Works? International Journal of Pharmaceutical and Healthcare Marketing, 11(1), 2-15.
Park, J. S. & Ju, I. (2016). Prescription Drug Advertising, Disease Knowledge, and Older Adults’ Optimistic Bias about the Future Risk of Alzheimer's Disease. Health Communication, 31(3), 346-354.
Ju, I. & Park, J. S. (2015). Communication Strategies in Direct-to-Consumer Prescription Drug Advertisements (DTCA): A Theory-Based Approach. Journal of Health Communication, 20(5), 546-554.
Honors and Awards
- American Academy of Advertising Research Fellowship, New York, NY, 2017-2018
- Top Three Research Paper, Advertising Division (2011), AEJMC
- Edward J. Meeman Fellowship in International Communication, College of Communication and Information, University of Tennessee, 2013, 2012
- Graduate Student Research Excellence Award (2013), University of Tennessee College of Communication and Information 35th Annual Research Symposium
Professional Organizations and Associations
- American Academy of Advertising (AAA)
- American Advertising Federation (AAF)
- St. Louis Advertising Club
- Association of Education in Journalism and Mass Communication (AEJMC)
- National Communication Association (NCA)