Claire Gilbert, Ph.D.
Department of History
Graduate Seminar: Empire and Diplomacy in the Early Modern Hispanic World; Graduate Advanced Studies: Mediterranean History and the World; Graduate Advanced Studies: Early Modern Economies and Exchanges: Trust, Credit, and Reputation; Senior Seminar: Religious Conversion in an Age of Empire; Origins of the Modern World to 1500; Origins of the Modern World: 1500 to the Present
- Late Medieval/Early Modern Spain and the Western Mediterranean
- Language Contact and Multilingualism between Arabic and Romance languages
- Social History of Language and the History of Linguistics
- History of Translation
Publications and Media Placements
- “The King, the Coin, and the Word,” in Authority and Spectacle in Medieval and Early Modern Iberia: Essays in Honor of Teofilo F. Ruiz, Yuen-Gen Liang and Jarbel Rodríguez (eds), Ashgate, 2017, pp. 33-45.
- "Transmission, Translation, Legitimacy and Control: The Activities of a Multilingual Scribe in Morisco Granada," in Multilingual and Multigraphic Manuscripts and Documents of East and West, Giuseppe Mandala and Inmaculada Pérez Marin (eds.), (Piscatawy, NJ: Gorgias Press, 2016), 339-376.
- "The Circulation of Foreign News and the Construction of Imperial Ideals: The Spanish Translators of Ahmad al-Mansur," Memoria y Civilización 18 (2015): 37-70.
- “A Grammar of Conquest: The Spanish and Arabic Reorganization of Granada after 1492,” Past and Present, Volume 239, Issue 1, May 2018, Pages 3–40.
- “Social Contexts, Ideology and Translation,” in The Routledge Handbook of Translation and Culture, Sue-Ann Harding and Ovidi Carbonell-Cortés (eds), 2018, pp. 225-242.
Honors and Awards
- National Endowment for the Humanities Fellowship 2017-2018
- SLU Student Government Association Faculty Excellence Award 2016
- American Philosophical Society Franklin Research Grant 2015-2016
- National Endowment for the Humanities Summer Institute, "Negotiating Identities," Barcelona 2015
- SSRC International Dissertation Research Fellowship, 2012-2013
- Huntington Library Travel Grant for Research in the U.K., 2012
- Spain-US Program for Cultural Cooperation (PCC) Research Grant, 2011
- IIE Fulbright Research Grant, Madrid, Spain, 2010-2011
- Critical Language Scholarship, Arabic, Muscat, Oman, 2010
- Critical Language Scholarship, Arabic, Amman, Jordan, 2009
- FLAS Academic Year Fellowship, Arabic, 2008-2009