Saint Louis University’s Language Resource Center serves students, instructors and teaching assistants by providing an environment for language immersion and practice.
The center provides an array of teaching tools and multimedia resources and is an integral component of the foreign language curriculum at Saint Louis University. All lower-division lab sections are scheduled in the Language Resource Center.
The center’s mission is to enrich, enhance and transform foreign language and cultural learning, teaching, and research at Saint Louis University. The center is committed to providing students and faculty with state-of-the-art technology resources and expert support.
The Language Resource Center:
- Maintains, updates, and evaluates the effectiveness of technology tools of all kinds in support of language learning and faculty research
- Aids faculty members in using technology to enhance students' classroom experience
- Acquires and maintains collections of foreign media for both instruction and research
- Fosters an academic environment where learning foreign languages and cultures is valued and encouraged
Language Resource Center Facilities
The Language Resource Center consists of three computer classrooms and one central support office. All areas of the center are equipped with interactive multimedia language learning software, headsets with high-quality headphones and microphones, and an array of auxiliary media devices. In addition, the center provides:
- International live satellite and IP-based television for broadcasts in French, Spanish, Italian and German. Other languages are available through on-site Roku devices
- Open computer lab access and free printing for documents pertaining to classes taught in the Department of Languages, Literatures and Cultures
- Placement testing and exams for program proficiency requirements
- Language tutoring
- A media-equipped private study area (available with reservation)
- Comprehensive language learning software including proofing tools for French, Spanish, German and Russian
- A diverse collection of more than 2,000 films
- Multi-standard DVD and VHS players which support all worldwide video formats and some conversion services
- Portable instructional media is available for professors, adjuncts and teaching assistants
- A staffed service desk area that helps faculty and students coordinate independent labs
- A comprehensive language reference library
- A video room and equipment for student presentations (available with upon reservation)
Language Placement and Proficiency Testing at SLU
Before registering for a course, current students at Saint Louis University can take departmental language placement exams and review their scores online. For more information about placement examinations, please visit the placement exam Google site.
For information on waiving course or program requirements through language testing, please consult our proof of proficiency examination policy.
For any other questions about placement or proficiency exams, visit the Language Resource Center or contact Dan Nickolai, Ph.D., at email@example.com.
Foreign Language Tutoring
The Language Resource Center provides free tutoring for students taking courses through the Department of Languages, Literatures and Cultures.
To meet with a tutor or see what languages tutoring is currently being offered in, you can schedule an appointment online.
Tutoring for additional languages is frequently available through the Student Success Center.