Ajlina Karamehic-Muratovic, Ph.D.
Introduction to Statistics; Research Methods; Medical Sociology
Ph.D. in Health Communication, University of Kentucky
- Substance use and drug abuse prevention
- Health disparities
- Refugees and health
- Mental health
- Acculturation and immigration
- Culturally appropriate healthcare and communication
- Medical sociology
- Message design and tailoring
- Mass communication
- Social marketing
- Behavior change
Publications and Media Placements
2013: Cheah WH, Karamehic-Muratovic A and Matsuo H. Ethnic Group Strength and Host Receptivity and Conformity Pressure among Bosnian Refugees in St. Louis, Missouri. Journal of Immigrant and Refugee Studies, 11(4), 401-415.
2012: Ennis M, Mattfeldt-Beman M, Moore A and Karamehic-Muratovic A. Binder Bracelet Activity to Help Improve Binder Medication Compliance and Serum Phosphorus in Hemodialysis Patients. Renal Nutrition Forum, 31(4), 1-6.
2012: Harris JK, Karamehic-Muratovic A, Herbers SH, Moreland- Russell S, Cheskin R and Lindberg K. Perceptions of personal risk about smoking and health among Bosnian refugees living in the United States. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health, 14: 413- 419.
2011: Cheah WH, Karamehic-Muratovic A, Matsuo H and Poljarevic A. The Role of Language Competence, Interpersonal Relationships, and Media Use in Bosnian Refugees' Resettlement Process. Journal of Intercultural Communication Research, 40(3), pp.219-236.
2010: Cheah WH, Karamehic-Muratovic A, Matsuo H and Poljarevic A. The influence of personal predispositions on refugees' resettlement process. The International Journal of Interdisciplinary Social Sciences, 5(7), pp.37-48.
2010: Matsuo H, McIntyre K, Cheah WH and Karamehic-Muratovic A. Ambivalent Prejudice toward Refugees: The Role of Social Contact and Ethnic Origin. Missouri Electronic Journal of Sociology. http://www.mosoc.org/MEJS/current_mejs.htm
2010: Matsuo H, Redmount IH, Karamehic-Muratovic A, Cheah WH, Willoughby L and Poljarevic
A. Application of Linear Matrix
Model to Adaptation Process of Bosnian Refugees in the U.S. Proceedings of the Asian Conference on the Social Sciences, Osaka, Japan. pp.996-2001.
2009: Cheah WH, Karamehic-Muratovic A, Matsuo H and Poljarevic A. The Influence of
Environmental Factors on Bosnian Refugees'
Resettlement Process. Global Studies Journal, Volume 2(3), 169-184.
2009 Baker EA, Brownson RC, Dreisinger M, McIntosh LD and Karamehic-Muratovic A. Examining
the role of training in
evidence-based public health: A qualitative study. Health Promotion Practice, 10(3), 342-348.
2009 Karamehic-Muratovic A, Cheah WH, Matsuo H, and Poljarevic A. Audience Segmentation of Bosnian Refugees Psychological Health. International Journal of Interdisciplinary Social Sciences, 3(10).
2008 Cohen EL, Vijaykumar S, Wray R and Karamehic-Muratovic A. The Minimization of Public Health Risks in Newspapers After Hurricane Katrina. Communication Research Reports, 25(4), 266-281.
2001 Cheah WH and Karamehic A. Applying theory to practice: Designing environmental messages using the concepts of sensation seeking and fear appeals. Interdisciplinary Environmental Review, 4(2), 131-144.
Honors and Awards
- Innovative Teaching Fellowship recipient for teaching in Spring 2014, with preparatory course release occurring in Fall 2013.
- 2007 Participant, "Grant Writing Institute," University of Missouri, Columbia, MO.
- 2005 Fellow, "Cancer, Culture and Literacy Institute," Moffitt Cancer Center, Tampa, FL. The Institute is a series of educational activities, which examine the nexus of culture and literacy relating to effective communications and research. This year-long peer-reviewed and competitive NCI funded project (R25CA90654) included a five-day hands-on intensive learning experience, participation in 10 monthly web-based modules and a mentoring experience (Mentor: Rena J. Pasick, Ph.D.)
- 2002 Bruce Westley Memorial Graduate Scholarship Award, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY
- 1999-2000 Academic Excellence Scholarship, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY
- Dean's List, 1996-1998, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY