Jerome Katz, Ph.D.
Professor; Robert H. Brockhaus Endowed Chair in Entrepreneurship
Department of Management
Ph.D. in Organizational Psychology, University of Michigan
C.A.S in Administration, Planning and Social Policy, Harvard University
M.S. in General Psychology, Memphis State University (now University of Memphis)
B.A. in Psychology and Political Science, Southwestern at Memphis (now Rhodes College)
Entrepreneurship, Entrepreneurship Education, Emergence, Small Business, Opportunity Recognition
- Founding Director - Chaifetz Fellows Program, Richard A. Chaifetz School of Business at Saint Louis University
- Co-Author, Entrepreneurial Small Business, McGraw-Hill Higher Education
- Co-founder and Co-editor, Advances in Entrepreneurship, Firm Emergence and Growth, Emerald Publishers
- Founding Editor, Entrepreneurship and Management of Growing Enterprises series, Sage Publications
- Creator of eWeb: Entrepreneurship Education Resources at Saint Louis University
Publications and Media Placements
Katz, J. and Gartner, W.B. (1988). Properties of emerging organizations. Academy of
Management Review, 13(3), 429-441.
Gaglio, C.M. and Katz, J.A.(2001). The psychological basis of opportunity identification: entrepreneurial alertness. Small Business Economics, 16(2), March, 95-111.
Katz, J.A. (2003). The Chronology and Intellectual Trajectory of American Entrepreneurship Education. Journal of Business Venturing, 18, 283-300.
Katz, J.A. (1993). The dynamics of organizational emergence: a contemporary group formation perspective. Entrepreneurship: Theory and Practice, 17 (2), 97-102.
Katz, J.A. Safranski, S.R. and Khan, O. (2003). Virtual Instant Global Entrepreneurship: Cybermediation for Born International Service Firms. Journal of International Entrepreneurship, 1, 43-57.
Honors and Awards
- Longenecker Fellow, US Association for Small Business and Entrepreneurship (Elected 2004)
- Thomas M. Knapp SJ Memorial Faculty Member of the Year Award, Richard A. Chaifetz School of Business Alumni Association (2005)
- Foundational Paper Award Winner, Entrepreneurship Division of the Academy of Management (2013)
- Eight papers republished in classic paper compendia in entrepreneurship
Professional Organizations and Associations
- Academy of Management - Governor, Entrepreneurship Division Chair, Co-chair Academy Mentoring Committee
- International Council for Small Business, Vice-President of Research & Publications
- Nominating Committee Member, Global Award for Entrepreneurship Research
- CNBC Disruptor 50 Advisory Council
- Editorial Board:
- Journal of Small Business Management
- Entrepreneurship and Regional Development
- International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Small Business
- International Entrepreneurship and Management Journal
- Journal of Entrepreneurship Education
- Entrepreneurship Education & Pedagogy
- Experiential Entrepreneurship Exercises Journal
Community Work and Service
- Competition Committee Member, Arch Grants, St. Louis
- Founding Director, Billiken Angels Network, Saint Louis University
- National Awards Program Judge, US Association for Small Business and Entrepreneurship
- Advising and judging provided to UMSL's DEI Accelerator, Stadia Ventures and SLU's MedLaunch
- Faculty for the Experiential Classroom - University of Notre Dame & University of Tampa