Skip to main content
MenuSearch & Directory

Automobile Insurance

Saint Louis University maintains auto liability insurance to cover damages and legal defense costs for bodily injury or property damages resulting from auto accidents involving vehicles owned or rented by SLU.

The University's automobile insurer retains the right to monitor or refuse to insure an individual driver. Should the automobile insurer decline coverage of any driver, that driver will not be authorized to drive a University-insured vehicle.

The University does not insure personal vehicles under any circumstances. If an employee chooses to use a personal vehicle for University business, the personal automobile policy covering the vehicle is primary. Only authorized drivers, drivers who have completed a motor vehicle license check, affiliated with the University in the capacity of student, faculty or staff shall be permitted to drive a vehicle rented or owned (including golf carts) by the University. Use of a vehicle is restricted to authorized university-related activities.

Automobile Accidents

Commonly Needed Contacts After an Accident

  • Risk Management: 314-977-3952 or
  • Department of Public Safety (DPS): 314-977-3000
  • Concentra Urgent Care: 314-421-2557
Accidents in University-Owned Vehicles/Driving for Business Purposes

If you are involved in an accident while driving a University-owned vehicle or while driving a vehicle for business purposes, please observe the following procedures:

  1. Stop immediately. Call DPS if on campus and call police. Do not leave the scene until a police report has been taken. 
  2. Get help for anyone injured. Call 911 as merited. Do not move an unconscious person unless their life is at stake.
  3. Take steps to prevent additional accidents at the scene. Move all involved vehicles out of the way of traffic.
  4. Collect as much information as possible for the SLU automobile accident reporting form.
  5. Provide the other driver SLU's proof of insurance card, your name and Risk Management's information.
  6. Safely take photos of the following: Each car, including license plates and all vehicle damage.
    1. Each driver.
    2. Any skid marks.
    3. Location markers.
    4. Accident debris.
    5. Other property damage. (trees, buildings, signs, street poles, etc.)
  7. When you are able to, notify your supervisor and Risk Management.
Accidents in Rented Vehicles During Travel

If you are involved in an accident while driving a vehicle rented for business purposes out of town, please observe the following procedures.

  • Stop immediately. Call the police. Do not leave the scene until a police report has been taken.
  • Follow the procedures listed above for injured parties and preventing additional accidents.
  • Contact the rental agency from where you rented the vehicle.
  • Follow the procedures listed above for exchanging and gathering information.
  • When you are able to, notify your supervisor and Risk Management. 
  •  If you are injured in the accident, please proceed to the nearest hospital. You must also report your injury to Risk Management and fill out a Report of Injury Form (PDF).


Departments are responsible for the first $1,500 of damage on all automobile claims in which the University makes a payment. If a department has two or more claims in a fiscal year, the deductible will be raised to $2,500.

If a department is involved in an automobile accident with a third party and the department driver is determined to be at fault, the department is responsible for the first $1,500 of damage to the department's vehicle, as well as the first $1,500 of damage to the third party's vehicle.

Car Rental Information

Saint Louis University prohibits University vehicles from being taken out of the country. Rental of vehicles in a foreign country is discouraged; however, the University recognizes that there may be times when public transportation is unavailable or not feasible. Any foreign rental must be pre-approved by University Risk Management.

You must be 18 or older to drive a University vehicle. Adhere to the specifications of the rental companies for their age requirements.

If you are renting or driving a vehicle on University-sponsored business (including golf carts) and require evidence of insurance coverage, you must first complete a Motor Vehicle License Registration Check (MVLRC) and receive approval. A MVLRC should be submitted at least five business days before using the vehicle. 

The University prohibits the use or rental of vans with a wheelbase greater than 148 inches or a max of 12 passengers. No exceptions to this policy will be made. For van rental information, contact Transportation Services.

All University vehicles should carry an automobile liability insurance identification card. For a copy of the card, please contact Risk Management at 314-977-3952 or

All employees renting vehicles for University business should accept the optional liability insurance offered by the rental agency.

Enterprise and National rentals, the University’s preferred vendors, will have a $3 per day charge for $1,000,000 of coverage. This additional $3 per day will be automatically added to all rentals.

If you rent a vehicle through the SLU Transportation Department, the additional $3 per day will be automatically added to all rentals.

For other rental companies, we have outlined the coverages below:

  • (ALI) Liability – This is liability coverage. Employees should take out this coverage for rentals. The coverage purchased should be at least $100,000.
  • (LDW) Loss Damage Waiver – A loss damage waiver is not insurance and is not mandatory. University employees should not take out this coverage.
  • (PAI) Personal Accident Insurance - This is unnecessary because employees are covered by the University’s Workers Compensation insurance policy when traveling for business purposes.
  • (PEP) Personal Effects Insurance – University employees should not take out this coverage.

License Monitoring

Saint Louis University reserves the right to ensure that all drivers of University vehicles have reasonable driving records and will only authorize drivers based upon this reference check.

Any one or more of the following may disqualify an individual from being authorized to drive for SLU:

  • Suspended driver's license
  • Drug-related conviction in the past five years
  • Felony involving a motor vehicle in the past five years
  • Three or more moving violations in the past three years
  • Two or more moving violations within the past 12 months
  • Driving While Intoxicated or Blood Alcohol Content conviction in the past five years
  • Revoked or suspended license in the past three years

Once the MVLRC is completed you may contact Risk Management at 314-977-3952 to obtain a copy of the insurance card. Please allow five business days for processing before your travel date.

If your department has employees who drive a University vehicle or rental vehicle (including golf carts) on University business more than four times a month, contact Risk Management to be enrolled in a continuous monitoring service. There is no charge to the department.

If a driver will be driving a vehicle weighing more than 26,000 pounds or designed to transport more than 15 people (including the driver), the driver must have a valid commercial driver's license.