Saint Louis University's Department of Transportation Services coordinates the rental of University vans to assist the transportation needs of faculty, staff, students and SLU organizations conducting official University business. Due to COVID-19, all those using SLU rental vehicles must wear face masks while within the vehicle.
Rental Rates (Effective August 1st, 2021)
|Time Period/Mileage||Half Day*||Daily Rate**|
|Less than 50 miles||$42 + $5 Administration fee.||$67 + $5 Administration fee.|
|More than 50 miles***||$47 + gas||$72 + gas|
*Half Day: Checked out and returned before noon of the same day. Only available Monday-Friday.
**Daily Rate: Checked out in the morning and returned after noon OR Checked out after noon and returned the same day.
***Rentals of more than 50 miles will be charged based on MapQuest calculation of the round trip distance (miles) to the destination and back.
- Rates above are for seven-passenger vans.
- Specialty vehicles are charged the current market rate, require more time to procure, and do not have half day rates. Be sure to allow at least one week prior to rental date when requesting specialty vehicles. Additional requirements may apply.
- One business day notice is required for rental requests and/or cancellation. Holidays and weekends do not count as business days. If no cancellation notice is given by email one business day prior to departure, the established rate/fees will still be charged.
- Reservations/cancellations made outside of normal business hours (Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.), or during University holidays will be reviewed on the following business day. Be sure that day is far enough from the rental date to have your request completed.
All potential drivers must meet the following criteria before being authorized to drive University vans.
- Must have a U.S. driver's license.
- All seven-passenger van drivers must be at least 18 years of age. Additional restrictions may apply for specialty vehicles.
- Names and Banner ID numbers of the individual driving must be listed on the Van Request form. Only those names with Banner ID numbers will be considered for driving and van pickup.
- All drivers must complete and submit the Motor Vehicle License Reference Check (MVLRC)
preferably one week or more prior to departure since checks can take over three business
days to be processed and approved. If you do not have an approved license verification
check, you will not be allowed to drive and the van will not be released into your
care. A license check will cover you for the current fiscal year July 1 to June 30.
For a license check, you will need to fill out the online form.
The University reserves the right to ensure that all drivers of University vans are compliant with risk management driver criteria linked below and will only authorize drivers based on the motor vehicle license record check.
This process must be completed for each driver once per fiscal year. Each fiscal year begins on July 1 and goes through June 30. If your record changes during the fiscal due to ticket, suspension, etc. contact email@example.com to verify if new check needs to be run.
Only people directly engaged in the University activity for which the van is to be used may be passengers in the vehicle. The vehicles are not available for personal purposes and may not be kept overnight at an employee's or student's place of residence, except as authorized. These vehicles are only permitted to park in Olive garage unless otherwise requested and approved by Parking, Card and Transportation Services prior to check out of vehicle.
For trips that exceed a 50 mile one-way radius:
- Rental of vans or vehicles through an outside rental company will be coordinated by Transportation Services.
- SLU prohibits the rental of 15-passenger vehicles, but does rent 12-passenger vehicles. Must be over 21 to drive.
Vehicles obtained through the SLU Van Service may not be operated by any person under the influence of alcohol, illegal substances or any drug impairing the operator's ability to safely operate the vehicle.
- Vehicles are checked out from the Parking, Card and Transportation Services office located in the Wool Center, Suite 130 unless otherwise instructed by Parking, Card and Transportation Services.
- All drivers will be requested to present their driver's license at the time of pickup. A copy of the driver's license will not be accepted and the van will not be released for the scheduled use if only a copy is provided. No exceptions will be made. Only approved eligible drivers will be allowed to sign out and drive the vehicle.
- Take five photos of your rental vehicle (front, sides, back, and odometer) before leaving the garage and email them with name of group and vehicle number to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If more than one vehicle has been requested, a single driver cannot pick up the keys for multiple vehicles.
- Drivers must have a completed and approved license check at least one business day prior to departure date to pickup and/or drive. For weekend rentals, all drivers must be cleared by Thursday at 4 p.m. at the latest.
A rental bag containing key(s), wallet [containing parking card, credit card, and pin card], insurance ID card, accident information and accident form will be issued to each vehicle. All contents and receipts from gas purchases using said card and pin must be return to bag prior to returning the vehicle.
Vehicles will be available for pickup between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.
In the event that there is a time or date change on picking up the vehicle, please notify the Parking, Card and Transportation Services coordinator at email@example.com at least one business day prior to departure date.
Cancellations must be made at least one business day prior to departure. This means that weekend rentals must be canceled by Thursday at 4 p.m. to ensure your department is not charged.
The user(s) of a University van may park his/her vehicle in the non-reserved areas of the Olive garage.
- Return rented vehicle to the Olive parking garage and park it on the second floor in the southeast corner unless otherwise indicated by Parking, Card and Transportation Services due to vehicle clearance restrictions.
- All vans should be returned free of all trash and personal items. The general cleanliness of the vehicle is the responsibility of the driver and passengers using the van. The department and/or organization may be billed accordingly if Transportation Services must clean the vehicle. **Disinfectant spray and paper towels will be provided in each SLU vehicle to wipe down all frequently touched surfaces after use.
- Vans should be refueled if trips exceed 50 miles round trip. Otherwise, gas is included for a flat $5 fee and transportation services will refuel the van. Photo of the receipt should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org along with name of group and vehicle number after fueling.
- Take an additional five photos of your rental vehicle (front, sides, back, and odometer) upon returning to the garage and email them to email@example.com with group name and vehicle number.
- Return the rental bag with original contents (key(s), wallet [containing parking card, credit card, and PIN card], insurance ID card, accident information and accident form) to the dropbox located outside of the security booth in the Olive-Compton Garage. Do not lock keys in the van.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org if there are any:
- Problems incurred while using the vehicle
- Dents or other damage
- Accidents and/or injuries. (Accident forms must be completed and turned in along with a police report.)
- Emergency Repairs (See "Emergency Repairs" tab for further information)
- Abide by all Saint Louis University policies.
- Seat belts must be worn while driving or riding in vehicles.
- No alcohol containers and/or illegal substances are not permitted in vehicles.
- All traffic offense fines, payments or penalties are the personal obligation of the driver. (Note: It is not permissible to use University funds to make payment.) "Tolls"/Failure to pay will result in being back-billed and charged and additional fee of $25.
- No form of smoking is permitted in vehicles.
- Rented vehicles only have access to park within the Olive garage unless specially requested and approved prior to reservation date.
- Vehicles should be returned in the condition in which they were rented. Trash, damage, not refueling to gas level obtained, or other unclean conditions will result in charges to the fund account for services rendered.
A van may be reserved by Saint Louis University departments or university-sanctioned organizations for official University business. Vans are scheduled on a first-come, first-serve basis. A Van Request Form must be completed online and submitted to Transportation Services.
Van Request Form
Information required includes: driver name(s) and Banner ID number(s), department/group, phone, the purpose of the trip, departure date and time, destination, return date and time, number of passengers, type of vehicle, number of vehicles and fund number.
Verification of all van requests will be sent to the requester.
Only drivers listed on the original submission form will be approved to pick-up the vehicle at the garage.
A Voyager gasoline credit card is issued in the rental bag and should be carried by the driver at all times and not left in the van. This card may be used for the purchase of self-service, non-premium gasoline for the designated University van on scheduled official University business. All receipts for gasoline purchased must be emailed to email@example.com after purchase of gas with vehicle number and name of group. A $20 fine will be charged to the sponsoring department for each missing receipt.
For those trips under 50 miles round trip, refueling is not necessary due to the flat $5 gas fee.
If you have a trip that is scheduled for over 50 miles round trip, refueling is necessary and will be billed back to the sponsoring department. Those estimating gas costs can use the "estimate fuel cost" feature on MapQuest by mapping to your destination using SLU as the origin. The estimated fuel cost is multiplied by two and rounded to the nearest increment of $5 like our flat rate fee.
Please note that it is against University policy to purchase gasoline or other services with a University-owned credit card for a privately-owned vehicle.
On an exception basis, if out-of-pocket gasoline and oil expenses are necessary, please be sure to save all receipts to be reimbursed. List these expenses on the trip record, return the receipts in the rental bag and Transportation Services will submit the appropriate paperwork for your reimbursement. The department or organization requesting the vehicle will be billed accordingly for these expenses.
The University automobile fleet is self insured and a valid insurance ID card serves as proof of insurance. They are included in the rental bag.
A $1,500 deductible per automobile involved in an accident is charged to the department or organization for all University auto-claims. For more detail, please visit Risk Management.
All University owned vehicles have Saint Louis University written on the exterior of the vehicle and are covered by Encore roadside assistance. In the event that a vehicle becomes inoperable or requires emergency repairs, refer to the white informational binder located inside each University vehicle.
If the vehicle does not have "Saint Louis University" written on the exterior, contact Enterprise's AAA roadside assistance at 1-800-307-6666.
When in a safe location, contact the Department of Public Safety at 314-977-3000 to report the incident and email firstname.lastname@example.org detailing what happened along with condition and location of the vehicle.
In the event of an accident involving a vehicle, either SLU owned or rented, the following procedures should be followed, regardless of the extent of damage:
- Take necessary steps to prevent additional accidents at the scene.
- Call police and emergency services, if necessary.
- Do not leave the scene until police have arrived.
- Take pictures, if possible.
At the scene, write down the following information from all other drivers:
- Name, address, phone
- Driver's license number
- License plate number
- Insurance information
While at the scene of the accident, secure information needed to complete SLU's Automobile Accident Report Form. A copy of this form can be found in the bag you received from Transportation Services and must be sent to Risk Management within two business days.
Reporting of Accidents/Injuries
Accidents and/or injuries to anyone must be reported at once to the Department of Public Safety at 314-977-3000. DPS will notify Risk Management and Transportation Services. Risk Management will coordinate with Transportation Services for vehicle assessments and repairs. For detailed information on deductibles and other payment information, visit Risk Management.