Skip to main content

Saint Louis University Header Logo Center

Menu Search & Directory

Risk Management and Insurance

Risk Management and Insurance at Saint Louis University is responsible for implementing effective financial and operational strategies to minimize the University's exposure to pure risk and to protect the human, financial, and physical assets of the University.

Risk Management administers University risk programs and services in the following areas:

  • Automobile liability
  • Aviation (aircraft and airport)
  • Bonds
  • Crime
  • Cyber liability
  • Directors and officers
  • Employed lawyers
  • Employment practices
  • Fiduciary liability
  • Golf cart training
  • International travel
  • Student athletic accidents
  • Licensed professional liability
  • Pollution legal liability
  • Property (buildings, contents, fine arts)
  • Sports camps
  • Student athletic accidents
  • Umbrella liability
  • Worker's compensation

Certificates of Insurance

Risk Management arranges for issuance of certificates of insurance, used to provide evidence of coverage to third parties. If you are required to show evidence of insurance and need a certificate, call 314-977-3952 or email

 You'll be asked to provide the following information:

  • Name of outside party
  • Full address 
  • Email address
  • Phone number
  • Reason for the request, including the name and date of the event if applicable
  • Any special contractual requirements relative to insurance coverage
  • Date on which the insurance document is needed

Claims history verifications for a physician may also be obtained by contacting the General Counsel's office attention Mary Sneed at 314-977-5775.

Worker's Compensation

Employees must notify their supervisors immediately following all on-the-job injuries and illnesses, and a Report of Injury form must be completed.

Employees should then contact Employee Health, SLU's authorized care provider for treatment, at 314-268-5499. If the employee seeks treatment elsewhere or does not seek treatment immediately, Employee Health must still be notified. 

International Business Travel

If you are a University employee who works 32 hours a week or more and travels on University-sponsored business, you may be entitled to international travel accident coverage for you, your spouse or children traveling with you, as well as important related travel services. This is a free service to employees. For information on filing an international medical insurance claim, please refer to this guide.

Sign up for Travel Insurance

Travel to the following countries is not covered by SLU-supplied insurance: Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Israel (including the West Bank and Gaza Strip), Iran, Somalia, Chechnya or any country subject to the administration and enforcement of U.S. economic embargoes and trade sanctions by the Office of Foreign Assets Control.

Personal Property Protection

The University does not insure the personal property of its faculty, staff, students, volunteers or guests. Claims associated with personal property theft or damage will not be covered by the University's insurance, including claims related to laptops, computers and electronic devices. It is expected that these items are insured through the individuals homeowner's insurance policy which is a primary source of compensation for all losses.


Risk Management and Insurance periodically distributes safety tips and warnings to the SLU community.