Learn more about arriving in St. Louis and attending your new student orientation.
Arriving in St. Louis
You will go through immigration at the first U.S. airport you enter, so you should be prepared to answer a few questions about your upcoming stay in the United States. Citizens of Canada who are driving to St. Louis will speak with an agent at the U.S. border. Either way, you should be prepared to share the following information:
Tell the inspector that you are a student at Saint Louis University.
Our address is:
1 North Grand Boulevard
St. Louis, Missouri 63108
You may be asked to provide the following documents, so do not pack them in your checked baggage:
- I-20 or DS-2019
- F-1 or J-1 student visa stamp
- SLU admission letter
- Financial documents
- Receipt for the SEVIS fee (Form I-797 or a printout of your receipt)
- The name and contact information for a person at SLU
If you arrive in the United States more than 30 days before the program start date on your I-20 or DS-2019, you may be denied entry to the country. Please plan accordingly.
SLU offers pick up service from Lambert International Airport on certain days prior to each semester. Most students plan to arrive on one of these days to be greeted at the airport by a SLU staff member and accompanied to campus.
To schedule your airport transportation, forward your flight itinerary (including the airline confirmation number) to firstname.lastname@example.org, along with your full name and Banner ID number. Once we receive your flight information, you will receive an email confirmation. Please submit airport pickup requests one month prior to your arrival.
If you are unable to locate us at the airport, you can go the airport’s information desk and ask the staff to page Saint Louis University.
If any of your flights are missed, canceled or delayed, email email@example.com or call 314-977-2318 or 314-649-4055 so we can assist you. If it is an evening or weekend outside of airport pickup days, you can call 314-977-3000 and a campus public safety officer will contact us.
- A taxi from the airport to Saint Louis University campus will cost around $50 USD. Taxis for hire are outside the baggage claim area.
- Uber and Lyft both operate from St. Louis International Airport. These transportation services can be accessed via smartphone apps.
- There is also an airport shuttle service, Go Best Express. This is like a shared taxi that will take several passengers at once. They offer a discount to Saint Louis University students. If you use this service, identify yourself as a SLU student, and ask for the discount.
- The MetroLink, St. Louis' light rail system, is a good option if you you do not have much baggage and are not arriving late at night. Get off at the Grand Station stop. Saint Louis University is located a few blocks north.
If you are arriving during business hours (8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday to Friday) go to Des Peres Hall, 3694 West Pine Mall, St. Louis, MO, 63108. Des Peres Hall is the building displaying flags representing SLU's international population.
If you are arriving before 8:30 a.m., after 5 p.m. or on a weekend, go to Wool Center, 3545 Lindell Blvd., St. Louis, MO, 63108. A public safety officer can help you find your on-campus housing (students living off campus should plan to stay in a hotel).
New International Student Orientation
International Student Orientation is held before the start of the fall and spring semesters. You'll have the chance to get acclimated to life on campus and in the U.S. before classes start. You'll register with our office, meet other international students and connect with student ambassadors who will make you feel welcome.
Fall 2021 International Student Orientation dates are August 19-20. Orientation will be held in person and a detailed schedule will be sent to all new international students with details on attending the sessions. If you would like to see sessions from last fall's orientation presentations, you can access recordings of the presentations below:
In order to activate your I-20 or DS-2019 you will need to watch the following presentation and complete the check in process on the International Student portal within 30 days of the start date of your I-20.
- Watch the Immigration Registration Presentation
- Navigate to your mySLU account to update your local address in Banner Self Service.
- Scan the below documents to your computer to begin the registration process
- I-20 or DS-2019
- Log into the International Student Portal with your mySLU credentials.
- Navigate to the "Forms" section and then select "New Student International Online Orientation".
- Complete the items in the "Learning Content" and "Signature Documents" sections. Ensure that there is a check in the "Complete" box next to those items.
- Complete your check in by selecting the "Immigration Check In" link in the "Questionnaires" section. This includes uploading the scanned copies of your I-20 or DS-2019, Visa, Passport and I-94.
- Once all of the above has been completed, you can click the submit button to complete your registration.
If you have any questions, please email your international advisor.