Note: At this time, library use is restricted to current SLU LAW students, faculty
In general, the loan periods for law students, faculty and staff are as follows:
Law library material
- Circulating Books: 120 days with 2 renewal periods (Faculty: 10 renewal periods)
- A/V: 7 days with 2 renewal periods
- Permanent Reserves: 2 hours
- Course Reserves: Set by course instructor
- Study Aids: 24 hours
SLU Pius XII Library and Medical Library material
- Books: 120 days with 2 renewal periods (Faculty: 10 renewal periods)
- Books: 28 days with 2 renewal periods
- A/V: at least 10 days — loan period set by loaning library
University of Missouri material through MOBIUS
- Books: 120 days with 2 renewal periods
Prospector/Colorado Alliance material
- Books: 21 days with 1 renewal period
- A/V: 7 days
ILLiad (Interlibrary Loan) material
- Books: usually 2 or 3 weeks with 1 renewal period as determined by the loaning library
The borrowing policy for SLU LAW alumni can be found here.
Renewal of library material occurs automatically for all material that can be renewed. An email notice is sent a few days before an item is due informing you that it was either automatically renewed or is due soon—please check the due date for each item listed in this email notice.
An item cannot be renewed if it has no remaining renewal period, it has been requested by someone else, or if your library account has been billed for an item.
Students, faculty and staff can always view the current status of their checked-out material as well as their requested items through their online library account.
If you are still using library material that is due soon and cannot be renewed, we can help — please contact us.
If an item you have checked out has been lost or damaged, we can help—please visit us at the circulation desk, call us at (314) 977-3081, or email us at email@example.com.
If an item you have checked out reaches 21 days overdue, a flat replacement fee determined by the law library’s agreement with MOBIUS (currently $120) will be charged to your library account and your borrowing privileges will be suspended. If you still need the item or it is lost or damaged, we can help—please contact us; otherwise, please return the item to remove this charge and reinstate your borrowing privileges.
Faculty who wish to have their faculty fellow or research assistant check out library material on their behalf to their faculty library account should either submit a Proxy Authorization Form or email their request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Faculty fellows and research assistants should not check out items for faculty on their own student library accounts.
Faculty fellows and research assistants cannot directly request items from SLU, MOBIUS, or Prospector libraries on behalf of faculty; rather, faculty fellows and research assistants should contact their faculty member’s liaison librarian or email email@example.com with their requests.
- Food and drinks: Food and drinks are allowed in the library. Ensure that the library stays clean by disposing of trash and maintaining a clean space.
- The fifth floor: The fifth floor of the library is reserved for quiet study. Respect the quiet areas in the library by taking calls only on the sixth floor or outside the library. Silence phones on the fifth floor.
- Computing and printing: There are eight computers on the 6th floor available for use. The library also has a copier-printer on both the 5th and 6th floors. The copier-printers only accept Billiken Bucks; students can add Billiken Bucks to their SLU IDs online or by using the Billiken Bucks machine located on the 6th floor. Problems with the computers or copier-printers should be reported to SLU ITS by calling (314) 977-4000 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.