The Pius XII Memorial Library's Food and Drink Policy is an effort to make the library an inviting and comfortable place for study and research, while maximizing the continued value of the library's collections, equipment, and furnishings. Food and drink pose a potential risk to library collections, equipment, and furnishings. This policy achieves a balance between library users and social needs and the need to preserve and protect our collections, furnishings, and other equipment. We are counting on our users to help us make sure that the books and computers remain safe and the building stays clean.
- Limited eating and drinking are permitted within the library's public areas and study rooms according to the Food and Drink Policy.
- Food and drink are not permitted in any area posted as "NO FOOD OR DRINK". This includes, but is not limited to: the Vatican Film Library, Archives and Rare Books Reading Room, the ATC Innovation Studio, ATC Print/Finishing Area, and library book stacks.
- Non-alcoholic beverages in bottles that can be re-closed (screw top) or in other spill resistant containers (e.g., travel mugs, sports bottles, water bottles) are permitted, except where not allowed. (See 1.2).
- Beverages in open containers, cans, mugs, glasses, or cups without lids are not permitted.
- Snacks are permitted, except where not allowed. (See 1.2). Meals or messy, aromatic foods (e.g., hoagies, pizza, salads, and soup) are not permitted.
- Food and drink refuse is to be discarded in trash and/or recycling receptacles.
- Spilled food or drink should be cleaned immediately. For significant spills or messes, please contact any Library staff member immediately.
- Individuals who disregard the policy will be asked to empty their unacceptable drink container, put their food away or leave the Library.
- The library reserves the right to suspend this policy for special library events and exhibits.