Saint Louis University students, faculty members, staff members, and courtesy borrowers who have current identification cards may borrow books. A current Saint Louis University ID, a MOBIUS member-school ID, or courtesy card is required for all borrowing transactions.
Loan Periods for General Collection Items
|Categories||Loan Period||Renewals Allowed|
|Undergraduate Students||21 days||Five|
|Graduate Students||120 days||Two|
|SLU Staff||120 days||Two|
|Courtesy Borrowers||21 days||Three|
|MOBIUS Books||21 days||Two|
Items from special collections, such as the Reserve Collection, the Media Collection and the Curriculum Collection have different loan periods. Please inquire at the Circulation Desk for more information.
- are within seven days of their due date
- are not overdue
- have not been requested by another borrower
- have not reached the renewal limit
...may be reviewed using the Library Catalog. To renew items, use the following steps:
- Login to your Library Account.
- You can review selected items by placing a check in the box next to the item title and clicking on "Renew Selected."
- Or you can click on "Renew All" to review everything you have checked out.
- New due dates will be displayed in addition to the word "Renewed" in italics.
- Please note, items that other patrons have placed on hold and items with restricted loan periods cannot be renewed; a system message will tell you if renewal is not possible.
- Books obtained through MOBIUS may only be renewed twice.
SLU Library patrons may also renew by email, telephone (314-977-3087), or by bringing materials to the Circulation Desk. If a books has reached its renewal limit, it must be brought to the Circulation Desk to be checked in before it can be renewed again.
Remove Library Holds From My Banner Account
A "hold" is placed on registration, transcript and diplomas for all non-returned library materials and/or unpaid fines.
All outstanding books and fines must be taken care of prior to graduation. Students are encouraged to check their library records by logging into their library accounts at https://libcat.slu.edu/patroninfo/ or by calling the Circulation Desk at 314-977-3087. All fines must be paid at the Circulation Department of Pius Library (located on the main floor).
Pius Library Visitor Policy
Effective May 22, 2022, Pius XII Memorial Library is open to:
- Current SLU students, staff and faculty
- Guests escorted by a current SLU student, staff or faculty member
- Library Associates
- MOBIUS affiliates
- Visiting scholars sponsored by a SLU department
- Attendees of SLU-sponsored events or conferences
- Users of the Federal Depository Library collection
- Visiting researchers by appointment only.
All non-SLU patrons must sign in at the Lindell entrance service desk with a photo ID. Library administration reserves the right to modify this policy at any time.
Research assistants can become authorized users on a professor's card with (and only with) written permission allowing them all the borrowing privileges of faculty. A form letter is available at the circulation desk or you can submit any signed letter provided by the faculty member. The letter should specify for how long the assistant(s) will have the privileges.
Visiting faculty and scholars need a written permission letter from the head of the respective department they will be associated with during their time at SLU. Visiting scholars are allowed to borrow a maximum of 10 books (MOBIUS and ILL are not allowed) for up to 21 days. Books are eligible for three renewals.
High school students who are enrolled in the 1818 Advanced College Credit Program may check out four library books at a time by presenting their 1818 cards at the circulation desk. For more information, please contact Lori Kupsky at 314-977-3592 or email@example.com.