Art History, B.A. (Madrid)
Art history allows you to examine the significance of art across cultures and throughout history, keeping a critical eye on the contexts in which it was created. As a student of art history at SLU-Madrid, you will explore the cultural, historical and social contexts of art, which help us interpret the world around us. Through close examination of prominent periods and creators, you'll develop the skills ― critical analysis, research and communication ― necessary for success in careers in the arts and other professional fields.
Major in Art History
If you major or minor in art history at SLU-Madrid, you can complete all of your courses in Spain or choose to study for one semester in St. Louis, Missouri. You can also design your own program. We transfer pre-approved coursework completed at universities located in other art capitals of Europe ― Paris, London, or Rome, for example ― or anywhere in the world.
Art history majors whose research interests focus on European or Western art may complete coursework at other approved art history programs in Europe (an AAICU institution or another European university). Similarly, art history majors whose research interests focus on non-Western art may complete coursework at approved art history programs outside of Europe, including Kansai Gaidai University in Japan, Sogang University in South Korea and the Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Rio de Janeiro in Brazil.
The Bachelor of Arts in Art History requires a total of 120 credit hours, 37 of which must be within the art history major and 18 of which must be at the 3000/4000 level. No more than 12 transfer credits may be applied to fulfill specific courses or elective courses towards the completion of the 37 credits required for the major in art history.
Major Requirements (37 credit hours)
- Introductory Course ARTH 1010 (3 credit hours)
- Art History Seminar ARTH 2000 (1 credit hour)
- Courses focused on art produced before 1800 (9-12 credit hours)
- Courses focused on art produced after 1800 (9-12 credit hours)
- Global Arts (3 credit hours)
- Internship or 3000/4000-level art history elective (3 credit hours)
- ARTH 4900 Research Methods in Art History (3 credit hours)
- Studio Art elective (3 credits)
The minor in art history requires 18 credit hours, nine of which must be at the 3000/4000 level, as follows:
- An introductory art history course: ARTH 1010 or ARTH 1000 (3 credit hours)
- Three courses, with at least one course focused on art produced before 1800 and another focused on art produced after 1800 (9 credit hours)
- Studio art or any 3000/4000-level art history elective (3 credit hours)
- ARTH 4900 Research Methods in Art History or an additional 3000/4000-level course (3 credit hours)
When you study art history at SLU-Madrid, you'll have the opportunity to apply for internships at cultural centers and artistic institutions in Madrid, including the offices of Sotheby's and Christie's auction houses. Students may also apply for an internship in the United States through our partnership with museums in St. Louis, Missouri. To apply, students must be registered for the art history major or minor and meet all SLU-Madrid internship requirements.
Our greatest asset is our dedicated and qualified professors. They provide courses that integrate museum visits and all that the city of Madrid has to offer. This includes outside class activities, guest lectures, events, visits and exhibitions.
SLU-Madrid is committed to providing quality Jesuit education at an affordable price. Tuition rates at the Madrid Campus are approximately 40 percent lower than comparable private universities in the U.S.
If you have questions or would like to speak with a financial aid officer, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To be admitted to the major, you must have at least a 2.00 cumulative average and complete a declaration of major form, available in the Office of the Registrar. Upon acceptance to the program, you will be assigned a departmental advisor.
To be certified for graduation, you are required to:
- Have at least a 2.00 cumulative average, a 2.00 average in the major and a 2.00 average in the minor or related elective hours.
- Complete 30 of your final 36 credits at Saint Louis University (either the Madrid or St. Louis campus).
- Submit the online application for degree before the beginning of the semester in which you intend to graduate.
Study the Art of Europe
Our courses enrich your experience in Europe, allowing you to appreciate the art and architecture you see during your travels. We also organize visits to private collections that are inaccessible to the general public. The size of our program allows us close contact and mentorship with our students, as well as internship opportunities in museums both in Spain and the United States.