The Saint Louis University Department of Dermatology has extensive experience conducting industry-sponsored clinical trials and investigator-initiated research. The SLU department’s board-certified specialists and sub-specialists provide comprehensive care, as well as cutting-edge research in general dermatology, pediatric dermatology, cosmetic and laser surgery, cutaneous oncologic surgery and dermatopathology.
The large, established dermatology clinical practice enables the department to attract multisite trials in various phases of drug and treatment research in addition to faculty-designed clinical research. Studies have involved research for the treatment of psoriasis, atopic dermatitis, hidradenitis suppurativa, pemphigus, basal cell carcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma, pre-cancerous conditions, melanoma, hyperhidrosis, cosmetic devices and procedures and other dermatological conditions.
Dermatology Department Primary Investigators
- M. Yadira Hurley, M.D. Complex Medical Dermatologic Conditions Clinical Trials
- Nicole Burkemper, M.D. General Medical Dermatologic Conditions, specializing in Atopic and Contact Dermatitis, Patch Testing Clinical Trials
- Ramona Behshad, M.D. Surgical Oncologic Dermatology Clinical Trials
- Elaine Siegfried, M.D. Pediatric Dermatology Clinical Trials
- Jennifer Fehlman, M.D. Cosmetic Dermatology Clinical Trials
- M. Yadira Hurley, M.D. Director of Clinical Research, Department of Dermatology
- Rhonda Lebbing, APRN-BC Research Coordinator/Director
- Maddie Bicklein, M.S. Research Coordinator
- Wesley Hodges, M.D. Junior Research Fellow, Sub-Investigator
- Monica Hessler-Waning, M.D. Senior Research Fellow, Sub-Investigator
Dermatology Research Fellowship
The Department of Dermatology Division of Dermatology Research offers a two-year research fellowship.
The research fellow acts as a sub-investigator on multiple sponsored clinical trials and participates in the design, implementation, and publication of studies. In addition to research, the fellow will provide patient care in the faculty dermatology clinics and participate in academic activities with the dermatology residents.
Applicant must have completed a minimum of PGY-1 at an ACGME-accredited program before starting the fellowship and must be eligible to obtain a Missouri medical license.