Saint Louis University believes that outstanding psychiatrists develop from individuals with diverse backgrounds, educational experiences, and trajectories. Therefore, we strive to recruit a diverse group of prospective residents.
Saint Louis University Vice Dean of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and Chief Diversity Officer for the School of Medicine Dr. Daniel Blash, Ph.D. is a member of our psychiatry faculty. Dr. Blash works with our program leadership to improve diversity in residency recruitment and provides educational training to faculty and trainees to address health disparities in our diverse patient population in St. Louis.
Participate in Diversity Initiatives
There are many innovative and rewarding ways residents can participate in diversity initiatives. A few examples that recent residents have participated in include:
- Resident representative on the President's Diversity Council
- SAMHSA Minority Fellowship
- Volunteering at the Health Resource Center, a medical student organized free primary care clinic
- DEI subcommittee, a resident-organized diversity, equity and inclusion committee
We encourage you to explore more information about the exciting campus and community initiatives addressing diversity, equity and inclusion.
- SLU Office of Institutional Equity and Diversity
- SLU Division of Diversity and Innovative Community Engagement
- School of Medicine Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Scholarship Program for Visiting Medical Students Underrepresented in Medicine
The Department of Psychiatry is excited to implement a Scholarship Program for Visiting Medical Students Underrepresented in Medicine (URiM). Our hope is to engage URiM students who show passion in the field of psychiatry. We invite visiting medical students to apply to participate in a fourth-year clinical elective in the Department of Psychiatry.