Saint Louis University affords multiple benefits to its residents. The full list can be found on the SLU Graduate Medical Education website.
Visit the GME Benefits Website
Highlights for surgical residents:
- Free, close parking at all five training sites. Free parking is also available at several SLU parking garages
- Complimentary membership to the SLU Simon Recreation Center, which contains a full fitness center, basketball courts, an indoor track, and pool.
- Three weeks of paid vacation per year, taken in one-week blocks
- Competitive salary in a low cost of living city – starting around $57,000 for PGY-1 residents
- Provided health insurance with 100% of premiums paid by SLU. Add-on options for dental and vision insurance are available
- Paid subscription to SCORE (SurgicalCore) and TrueLearn study resources.
- Program provides USMLE Step III registration fee
- Free access to all resources of the SLU Medical Library, including journal articles, UpToDate, and electronic versions of multiple core surgery textbooks.
- Available low-cost life insurance plans
- Provided disability insurance
- Employee Assistance Program with no-cost counseling and support through the Behavioral Health Program
- 403 (b) plan eligibility
- Mercy Hospital: Access to physician’s lounge with daily provided breakfast and lunch
- SLU Hospital and Cardinal Glennon: Meal stipend
- VA Hospital: On-call meal stipend