Harold Braswell, Ph.D.
Director of undergraduate major and minor; Bicentennial Fellow; associate professor
Albert Gnaegi Center for Health Care Ethics
- Ph.D. Graduate Institute of the Liberal Arts, 2014 Emory University, Atlanta GA
- Certificate in Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies
- B.A., with honors, Spanish and Portuguese, 2003 Columbia University, New York City, NY
- Bioethics, medical anthropology, history of medicine, disability studies, medical humanities
- Currently writing a book entitled Inhospitable: How Housing Discrimination Shapes the Way We Die, under contract at Johns Hopkins University Press
Publications and Media Placements
Braswell, Harold. The Crisis of US Hospice Care. Johns Hopkins University Press, 2019
- Braswell, Harold. “US Hospice Structure and its Implications for the ‘Right to Die’ Debate: an Interdisciplinary Study of the ‘Feeling of Being a Burden to Others.’” Journal of Bioethical Inquiry, (September 2019): 1-10.
- Braswell, Harold. “Putting the Right to Die in its Place: Disability Rights and Physician-Assisted Suicide in the Context of US End-of-Life Care.” Studies in Law, Politics, and Society, special issue “Accommodation, Recognition, Justice: Legal Treatment of Persons with Disabilities,” 72 (2018): 75-99.
- Braswell, Harold. “From Disability Rights to the Rights of the Dying (and back again)” Laws, special issue “Health Care Law and the Rights of Individuals with Disabilities,” 6.4 (2017).
- Braswell, Harold. “My Two Moms: Disability, Queer Kinship, and the Maternal Subject.” Hypatia: A Journal of Feminist Philosophy, special issue “New Conversations in Feminist Disability Studies,” 30.1 (winter 2015): 234-250.
- Braswell, Harold, and Howard I. Kushner. “Suicide, Social Integration, and Masculinity in the U.S. Military.” Social Science & Medicine, 74.4 (2012): 530-36.
- Braswell, Harold. “Neuropsychoanalytic Bioethics.” American Journal of Bioethics Neuroscience, 3.3 (2012): 3-6.
- Braswell, Harold. “Can there be a Disability Studies Theory of ‘End-of-Life Autonomy?’” Disability Studies Quarterly, 31.4 (2011).
- Braswell, Harold. “In Search of a Wide-Angle Lens.” Hastings Center Report, 41.3 (May-June 2011): 19-21.
- Braswell, Harold. “Taking Representation Seriously: Rethinking Bioethics through Clint Eastwood’s Million Dollar Baby.” Journal of Medical Humanities, 32. 2 (2011): 77-87.
Articles In Books
Braswell, Harold. "Euthanasia." Keywords in Disability, New York: NYU Press, 2014.
- "Coming to Jesus." Tablet, January 2020
- "Love and Other Disabilities." Tablet, June 2019
- "Why Do Police Keep Seeing a Person's Disability as a Provocation?" Washington Post, August 25, 2014,
Honors and Awards
- 2023 Donald G. Brennan Award for Excellence in Graduate Teaching (College of Arts and Science)
- 2022 Beaumont Scholarship Research Award (for project “Mapping the Relationship between Hospice and Anti-Black Housing Discrimination in Saint Louis, Missouri”)
- 2021 Faculty Excellence Award for Excellence in Diversity and Social Justice (Student Government Association)
- SLU Scholarly Works Award (for the book The Crisis of US Hospice Care)
- Emerald Literati Award for Excellence (for the article “Putting the ‘Right to Die’ in its Place: Disability Rights and Physician-Assisted Suicide in the Context of US End-of-Life Care”) 2019
- Bicentennial Fellowship, Saint Louis University 2017
- Graduate Student Essay Prize, University of Chicago Program in Medicine and Religion 2013
- Irving K. Zola Prize for Emerging Scholars in Disability Studies, Society for Disability Studies 2011
- Hastings Center Report Young Scholar Essay Contest, Hastings Center 2010
Community Work and Service
- Board of Directors, Gateway End-of-Life Coalition
- Board of Directors, VOYCE (a long-term care ombudsman organization)