Kyle Karches, M.D., Ph.D.
Albert Gnaegi Center for Health Care Ethics
Ph.D. in Health Care Ethics from Saint Louis University
M.D. from the University of Chicago
B.A. in Philosophy from the University of Notre Dame
Ethics education, virtue ethics, philosophy of medicine, technology, end-of-life care, and medical ethics in the Catholic tradition
Publications and Media Placements
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
- Karches KE. Medicine and the Common Good in the Aristotelian-Thomistic Tradition. Christian Bioethics 2020;26(2):124-144.
- Ostertag C and Karches K. Brain death and the formation of moral conscience. The Linacre Quarterly 2019;86(4):335-346.
- Karches KE. The ends of medicine and the crisis of chronic pain. Theoretical Medicine and Bioethics 2019;40:183-196.
- Karches K. Temperance, moral friendship, and smoking cessation. Journal of Medicine and Philosophy 2019;44:299-313.
- Karches KE. Against the iDoctor: why artificial intelligence cannot replace physician judgment. Theoretical Medicine and Bioethics 2018;39:91-110.
- Leffel GM, Mueller RAO, Ham SA, Karches KE, Curlin FA, and Yoon J. Project on the Good Physician: further evidence for the validity of a moral intuitionist model of virtuous caring. Teaching and Learning in Medicine 2018;19:1-14.
- Karches KE and Sulmasy DP. Justice, courage, and truthfulness: virtues that medical trainees can and must learn. Family Medicine 2016; 48(7):511-16.
- Karches KE and Sulmasy DP. Ethical considerations for turning off pacemakers and defibrillators. Cardiac Electrophysiology Clinics 2015; 7(3):547-55.
- Karches KE, Chung GS, Arora V, Meltzer DO, Curlin FA. Religiosity, spirituality, and end-of-life planning: a single-site survey of medical inpatients. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management 2012; 44(6):843-51.
- Karches KE. Ask an Ethicist: Returning to work after Covid-19. SGIM Forum 2022; 45(1):1,14.
- Ceceu M, Ioan BG, Ceceu M, Karches KE, Stefanescu C, Padela AI. Spiritual dimensions of biomedical research. In A Guide to the Scientific Career: Virtues, Communication, Research and Academic Writing. Edited by Shoja M, Arynchyna A, Loukas M, D’Antoni AV, Buerger SM, Karl M, Tubbs RS. Wiley-Blackwell: Hoboken, NJ, 2020.
- Karches KE and Pomerantz DH. Technology and the physician-patient relationship. SGIM Forum 2018; 41(12):1,5.
- Karches KE. Determination of death. In Clinical Decision Support: Hospital Medicine, 2nd edition, edited by Miller C, Burger A, Lai C, Pahwa A 2017. Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. Wilmington, DE.
- Karches KE. Assessing decision making capacity. In Clinical Decision Support: Hospital Medicine, 2nd edition, edited by Miller C, Burger A, Lai C, Pahwa A 2017. Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. Wilmington, DE.
Honors and Awards
- Caring Physician Award, St. Louis University Hospital, 2021
- SLUCare Top Doctor for Patient Experience, 2019
Professional Organizations and Associations
- Ethics Committee Chair, SSM-St. Louis University Hospital, 2020-present
- Ethics Committee Chair, Society of General Internal Medicine, 2021-2022