Sofia Origanti, Ph.D.
Cell Structure and Function; Graduate Seminar on Gene Regulation
Ph.D., Pennsylvania State University
Our research program is broadly focused on nucleic acid signaling mechanisms. We are interested in deciphering the mechanisms that control translation initiation and 60S ribosomal homeostasis. We are also interested in the interplay of nucleolar and genomic stress response and its modulation by DNA repair pathways and its deregulation in cancers, ribosomopathies and other inherited disorders. For a detailed description of our research interests, please refer to our website: www.origantilab.org
Labs and Facilities
We utilize a broad in vitro and in vivo approach to address mechanistic questions using robust cellular, biochemical, and biophysical assays, organoids, and mouse models. Collaborations with a dynamic team of experts further support a multidisciplinary approach. www.origantilab.org
Publications and Media Placements
- Elliff J, Biswas A, Roshan P, Kuppa S, Patterson A, Mattice J, Chinnaraj M, Burd R, Walker SE, Pozzi N, Antony E, Bothner B, and Origanti S. Dynamic states of eIF6 and SDS variants modulate interactions with uL14 of the 60S ribosomal subunit. Nucleic Acids Research, 2023 Feb 28;51(4):1803-1822.
- Roshan P, Kuppa S, Mattice J, Kaushik V, Chadda R, Tumala B, Pokhrel N, Bothner B, Antony E & Origanti S. An Aurora B-RPA signaling axis secures chromosome segregation fidelity. Nature Communications. 2023 May 25;14(1):3008.
- Biswas A, Peng YF, Kaushik V, Origanti S. Site-specific labeling of SBDS to monitor interactions with the 60S ribosomal subunit. Methods (Elsevier). 2023 Feb 11; 211:68-72.
- Jungers C, Elliff J, Masson-Meyers D, Phiel C, and Origanti S. Regulation of eukaryotic translation initiation factor 6 dynamics through multisite phosphorylation by GSK3. Journal of Biological Chemistry. Sep 4, 2020, 12796-12813.
- Kuppa S, Pokhrel N, Corless E, Origanti S, Antony E. Generation of Fluorescent Versions of Saccharomyces cerevisiae RPA to Study the Conformational Dynamics of Its ssDNA-Binding Domains. Methods Mol Biol. 2021; 2281:151-168.
- Pokhrel H., Origanti S., Davenport E.P., Gandhi D., Kaniecki K., Mehl R.A., Greene E.C., Dockendorf C., and Antony E. Monitoring replication protein A (RPA) dynamics in homologous recombination through site-specific incorporation of non-canonical amino acids. Nucleic Acids Research. 2017. 45(16):9413-9426.
Professional Organizations and Associations
Member of ASBMB, AACR and RNA Society
Member of Siteman Cancer Center at Washington University in St. Louis
Editorial Board: Scientific Reports