Ellen P. Carnaghan, Ph.D.
Undergraduate: Communism, Capitalism and Social Justice; Comparative Revolution; Ethnicity and Internal War; Soviet and Post-Soviet Politics: Graduate: Democratization; Russian Political Culture
Ph.D., New York University, 1992
M.A. in Law and Diplomacy, The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, 1981
B.A., Brown University, 1979
- Russian politics
- The politics of post-communism
- Political change
- Social movements
Publications and Media Placements
Out of Order: Russian Political Values in an Imperfect World. Pennsylvania State University
“From Balcony to Barricade: Mobilizing Citizens in Georgia, Ukraine, and Russia,”Europe-Asia Studies, 68, no. 9 (November 2016): 1579-1607.
“The difficulty of measuring support for democracy in a changing society: Evidence from Russia,”Democratization 18, no. 3 (June 2011): 682-706.
“Do Russians Dislike Democracy?,”PS: Political Science and Politics 40, no. 1, January 2007, pp. 61-67. This article was abstracted in International Political Science Abstracts 57, no. 5 (October 2007): 634.
“Thinking About Democracy: Interviews with Russian Citizens,”Slavic Review 60, no. 2, Summer 2001: 336-366.
“Alienation, Apathy or Ambivalence?: 'Don't Knows' and Democracy in Russia,” Slavic Review 55, no. 2, Summer 1996: 325-363.
“Generational Effects on Attitudes to Communist Regimes: A Comparative Analysis.” Post-Soviet Affairs, 11, January-March 1995: 28-56, (with Richard Rose).
“Political Attitudes and the Gender Gap in the USSR.” Comparative Politics 22, July 1990: 379-399, (with Donna Bahry).
Honors and Awards
- John Slosar Shared Governance Award, SLU, 2014
- Robert A. Johnston, S.J. Award for Excellence in Teaching, 2009 and 1998
- International Research and Exchanges Board, long and short-term travel grants, 2007, 1999, 1998, 1990
- Governor's Award for Excellence in Teaching, 2005
- Fulbright-Hays Faculty Research Abroad, 1998
Professional Organizations and Associations
- American Political Science Association
- American Association for the Advancement of Slavic, East European, and Eurasian Studies