Tobias Winright, Ph.D.
Associate professor of health care ethics; associate professor of theology
Albert Gnaegi Center for Health Care Ethics
Foundations in Catholic Health Care Ethics, Health Care in the Catholic Tradition and Methods in Religious Ethics.
- Ph.D. in moral theology and Christian ethics from the University of Notre Dame
- M.A. in moral theology and Christian ethics from the University of Notre Dame
- M.Div. from Duke University Divinity School
- B.A. in political science from the University of South Florida
- A.A. in liberal arts from St. Petersburg Junior College
Bioethics; Catholic moral theology; Christian ethics; ethics of war and peace; environmental ethics; criminal justice ethics.
Publications and Media Placements
Books—Authored, Coauthored, Edited, or Co-edited:
- T&T Clark Handbook of Christian Ethics (editor). London: Bloomsbury T&T Clark, 2021. Winright/5
- Serve and Protect: Selected Essays on Just Policing. Eugene, OR: Cascade, 2020.
- Can War Be Just in the 21st Century? Ethicists Engage the Tradition (co-edited with Laurie Johnston; Foreword by Stanley Hauerwas). Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Books, 2015.
- Environmental Justice and Climate Change: Assessing Benedict XVI’s Ecological Vision for the Catholic Church in the United States (co-edited with Jame Schaefer). Lanham, MD: Lexington Books, 2013.
- Violence, Transformation, and the Sacred: “They Shall Be Called Children of God,” College Theology Society Annual Volume 57 (co-edited with Margaret Pfeil). Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Books, 2012.
- Green Discipleship: Catholic Theological Ethics and the Environment (editor and contributor). Winona, MN: Anselm Academic Press, 2011.
- After the Smoke Clears: The Just War Tradition and Post War Justice (with Mark Allman). Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Books, 2010.
Journals—Editor, Co-Editor, or Guest Editor:
- Journal of Moral Theology, guest editor, special roundtable on “Friendship and the Moral Life,” in honor of Paul Wadell, Volume 10, No. 1 (January 2021).
- Journal of Moral Theology, guest editor with Rachelle Barina and Nathaniel Hibner, special issue on Catholic Health Care Ethics, Volume 8, No. 1 (January 2019).
- Journal of the Society of Christian Ethics, Co-Editor with Mark Allman, 2 issues per year for 5 years, approximately 200 pages per issue, with around a 13% acceptance rate, published by Georgetown University Press: from Volume 33, No. 2 (Fall/Winter 2013) to Volume 37, No. 1 (Spring/Summer 2017).
Journals—Peer Reviewed Articles:
- “Thanks Be to God for Paul J. Wadell: Essays in Honor of a Friend and His Work.” Journal of Moral Theology 10, no. 1 (January 2021).
- “Reimagining Just War as Anchored in, Tethered to, and Tempered by Mercy.” Journal of Religious Ethics 38, no. 3 (September 2020): 436-457.
- “Just War and Imagination Are Not Mutually Exclusive.” Horizons 45, no. 1 (June 2018): 114-119. Winright/6
- “Faith, Justice, and Ferguson: Insights for Religious Educators.” Religious Education 113, no. 3 (May-June 2018): 244-252. DOI: 10.1080/00344087.2018.1450608
- “Why I Shall Continue to Use and Teach Just War Theory.” Expositions: Interdisciplinary Studies in the Humanities 12, no. 1 (2018): 142-161, available at https://expositions.journals.villanova.edu/article/view/2325/2230.
- “Growing Edges of Just War Theory: Jus Ante Bellum, Jus Post Bellum, and Imperfect Justice” (with Mark Allman). Journal of the Society of Christian Ethics 32, no. 2 (Fall/Winter 2012): 173-191.
- “Just Policing and the Responsibility to Protect.” Ecumenical Review 63, no. 1 (March 2011): 84-95.
- “The Morality of Cluster Bombing.” Studies in Christian Ethics 22, no. 3 (August 2009): 357-381.
- “Just Cause and Preemptive Strikes in the War on Terrorism: Insights from a Just-Policing Perspective.” The Journal of the Society of Christian Ethics 26, no. 2 (Fall/Winter 2006): 157-181.
- “The ‘Slow War’ Against Iraq: A Moral Analysis” (with Joseph E. Capizzi). The Josephinum Journal of Theology 8, no. 1 (Winter/Spring 2001): 27-42.
- “Two Rival Versions of Just War Theory and the Presumption Against Harm in Policing.” Annual of the Society of Christian Ethics 18 (Washington, DC: Georgetown University Press, 1998): 221-239.
- “Virgil Michel on Worship and War.” Worship 71, no. 5 (September 1997): 451-462.
- “The Perpetrator as Person: Theological Reflections on the Just War Tradition
Professional Organizations and Associations
- Coeditor of the Journal of the Society of Christian Ethics (2012-2017)
- American Academy of Religion
- Society of Christian Ethics
- College Theology Society
- Catholic Theological Society of America
- Society for the Study of Christian Ethics
- American Society for Bioethics and Humanities
- Society for Ethics Across the Curriculum