Cathleen Fleck, Ph.D.
Fine and Performing Arts
Introduction to Western Art; Art of Cathedrals and Kings; Art of Pilgrimage and Crusades; Freshmen Inquiry Seminar: Excavating Cultures of Three Faiths; The Art of Jerusalem and Three Faiths: Past and Present; Islamic Art and Society; Northern Renaissance Art; Research Methods
Ph.D., Johns Hopkins University
M.A., Johns Hopkins University
B.A., University of Pennsylvania
- Late Medieval European and Islamic art and architecture of the Mediterranean, including arts of Naples, Rome, Avignon, Cairo, and Jerusalem Crusader art and cultural exchange
- History and representations of Medieval Jerusalem and Rome;
- Medieval court art
- Medieval European and Islamic manuscripts.
Publications and Media Placements
"The Crusader Loss of Jerusalem in the Eyes of a Thirteenth-Century Virtual Pilgrim," in The Crusades and Visual Culture, Eds. Laura Whatley, April Morris, Susanna Throop, and Elizabeth Lapina (Farnham, Surrey, England/Burlington, VT: Ashgate Press, forthcoming 2015).
"The Luxury Riccardiana Psalter in the Thirteenth Century: A Nun's Prayerbook?" Viator 46/1 (2015), 135-160.
"Crusader Spolia in Medieval Cairo. The Portal of the Complex of Sultan Ḥasan," Journal of Transcultural Medieval Studies, I/2 (Dec. 2014), 249-300.
"'Vergine madre pia': Text and Image in a Medieval Psalter in a Renaissance Dominican Convent," Source: Notes in the History of Art, XXXIV/2 (2015), 5-13.
The Clement Bible at the Medieval Courts of Naples and Avignon: A Story of Papal Power, Royal Prestige, and Patronage. Aldershot: Ashgate Press, 2010. http://www.ashgate.com/isbn/9780754669807
"The rise of the court artist: Cavallini and Giotto in 14th-c. Naples," Published
in Art History (2008): 460-83 and in Art and Architecture in the Kingdom of Naples, 1266-1713: New Approaches. Eds. C. Warr and J. Elliott. London: Wiley-Blackwell,
"Seeking Legitimacy: Art and Manuscripts for the Popes in Avignon from 1378-1417," A Companion to the Great Western Schism. Eds. Joëlle Rollo-Koster and Thomas Izbicki. Brill, 2009: 239-302.
Honors and Awards
Feminae Women and Gender Index, Article of the Month, Aug. 2006: For “Visual and Textual Literacy in the Frescoes at Santa Maria Donnaregina in Angevin Naples.” In The Church of Santa Maria Donna Regina: Art, Iconography and Patronage in Fourteenth-Century Naples. Eds. J. Elliott and C. Warr. Aldershot: Ashgate Press, 2004: 109-128.
Professional Organizations and Associations
- Member, Advisory Board, for St. Louis Conference on Manuscript Studies hosted annually by Manuscripta, a SLU journal of manuscript research, and the Vatican Film Library.
- Member, Program Committee for the Annual Meeting of the Medieval Academy of America, which the Center for Medieval and Renaissance Studies at SLU hosted April 12-14, 2012
- Chair, Travel Committee, Italian Art Society, 2008-2010
- President, Italian Art Society (2013-2015).
- Member, Advisory Board, Symposium on Medieval and Renaissance Studies, SLU,
Community Work and Service
PTO Committee Chair for Winter Social event and room volunteer at local elementary school.