Faculty members in the Saint Louis University Department of Fine and Performing Arts are scholars and teachers drawn from creative communities around the region and across the country.
Cathleen A. Fleck, Ph.D.
SLU’s art history faculty has specializations ranging from Middle Eastern and African-American art to the art of the Medieval Church, pop and contemporary art, and other areas. Its members encourage and support individualized experiences, from internships and travel/study experiences to independent research.
- Bradley Bailey, Ph.D., Program Director
- Cathleen Fleck, Ph.D.
- Olubukola Gbadegesin, Ph.D.
- Cynthia Stollhans, Ph.D.
- Terrence Dempsey, S.J., Ph.D. (emeritus)
- Andrea Miller, M.A. - Masterpieces in Art
SLU’s music faculty are active performers, teachers and scholars in the St. Louis metropolitan area. Each member is committed to the professional and musical development of their students and strives to support them in their specific areas of interest.
- Joe Akers, M.M.E. - Trumpet
- Christine Banda Banks, M.M. - Violin/Viola
- Lori Barrett-Pagano, M.M. - Voice
- Grace Fisher, M.M. - Voice
- Jon Garrett, M.M. - Aural Skills, Conducting, Voice, University Chorale
- Caroline Hixson, M.M. - Piano
- Thomas Jöstlein, B.M. - Horn
- David Kowalczyk, M.M. - Mastersingers
- Travis Lewis, D.M.A. - Music History and Literature
- Allegra Lilly, M.M. - Harp
- Sue Martin, M.M. - Piano
- James Nacy, M.M. - Cello
- Jennifer Nitchman, M.M. - Flute
- Patrick Rafferty, M.M. - Guitar
- Jonathan Reycraft - Trombone
- Ted Rubright, M.M. - Percussion
- Nathan Ruggles, M.M. - Voice
- Wen Shen, M.M. - Piano
- Ruth Stith, M.M. - Piano
- Mary Gay Spears, D.M.A. - Piano
- Dawn Striker, M.M. - Oboe
- Sue Stubbs, B.A. - Bass
- Thomas Stubbs, B.M. - Percussion
The studio art faculty are professional artists dedicated to teaching and mentoring students.
- Amy Bautz, M.F.A., Program Director
- Ilene Berman, M.F.A.
- Martin Brief, M.F.A.
- Jim Burwinkel, M. Arch
- Deborah Douglas, M.F.A.
- Nila Petty, M.F.A.
- Sharron Pollack, M.F.A. (emeritus)
- Ted Wood, M.F.A. (emeritus)
- Rick Dunn, M.F.A. - Ceramics
- Brian Lathan, M.F.A. - Computer Art, Printmaking
- José Guadalupe Garza, M.F.A. - Photography, Social Practice
- Terri Shay, M.F.A. - Design, Color Theory, Painting
- Daniel Stumeier, M.F.A. - Drawing, Design
- Seongyun Watkins-Park, M.F.A. - Drawing, Design, Color Theory
Full-time theatre and dance faculty at SLU hold terminal degrees in their field of specialization and work in the region and across the country. Adjunct faculty is drawn from the talented pool of theatre professionals who live and work in St. Louis.
- Lucille Cashion, M.F.A., Program Director
- Nancy Bell, M.F.A., A.E.A., SAG-AFTRA
- Gary Barker, M.F.A., A.E.A., SAG-AFTRA
- Lou Bird, M.F.A.
- Jim Burwinkel, M. Arch
- Denisse Chavez, M.F.A.
- Yizhou Huang, Ph.D.
- Thomas Martin, M.F.A. (emeritus)
- Jane Tellini, M.F.A. - Jazz Dance Technique; Musical Theatre Dance, Intro to Dance