Faculty members in the Saint Louis University Department of Fine and Performing arts are scholars and teachers drawn from creative communities around the region and across the country.
Laura Franklin, D.M.A.
SLU’s art history faculty has specializations ranging from Middle Eastern and African-American art, to the art of the Medieval Church, pop and contemporary art, and other areas. Its members encourage and support individualized experiences, from internships and travel/study experiences to independent research.
- Bradley Bailey, Ph.D.
- Terrence Dempsey, S.J., Ph.D.
- Deborah Douglas, M.F.A.
- Cathleen Fleck, Ph.D.
- Olubukola Gbadegesin, Ph.D.
- Cynthia Stollhans, Ph.D.
SLU’s music faculty are active performers, teachers and scholars in the St. Louis metropolitan area. Each member is committed to the professional and musical development of their students and strives to support them in their specific area of interest.
- J. Reycraft - Trombone
- Thomas Jöstlein, B.M. - Horn
- Jennifer Nitchman, M.M. Flute
- Christine Banda Banks, M.M. - Viola, Violin
- Julie Leonhardt, B.M. - Violin, Viola
- James Nacy, M.M. - Cello
- Sue Stubbs - Bass
- William Hopkins, M.M. - Guitar
- Patrick Rafferty, M.M. - Guitar
- Patricia Eastman, M.M. - Piano
- Sue Martin, M.M. - Piano
- Wen Shen, M.M. - Piano
- Ruth Stith, M.M. - Piano
- Mary Gay Spears, D.M.A. - Piano
- Thomas Stubbs - Percussion
- Lori Pagano, M.M. - Voice
- Julie Tabash Kelsheimer, M.M. - Voice
- Ruth Mueller, Ph.D. - Music History and Literature
- Crystal Weaver, M.A. - Music Therapy
The studio art faculty are professional artists dedicated to teaching and mentoring students.
- Amy Bautz, M.F.A.
- Ilene Berman, M.F.A.
- Martin Brief, M.F.A.
- Jim Burwinkel, M. Arch
- Nila Petty, M.F.A.
- Sharron Pollack, M.F.A.
- Ted Wood, M.F.A. (emeritus)
- Peg Fetter, M.F.A. - Metalsmithing
- David Johnson, M.F.A. - Photography
- Terri Shay, M.F.A. - Design, Color Theory
- Megan Singleton, M.F.A. - Fibers
Full-time theatre faculty at SLU hold terminal degrees in their field of specialization and work in the region and across the country. Adjunct faculty is drawn from the talented pool of theatre professionals who live and work in St. Louis.
- Gary Barker, M.F.A., A.E.A., SAG-AFTRA
- Nancy Bell, M.F.A., A.E.A., SAG-AFTRA
- Lou Bird, M.F.A.
- Jim Burwinkel, M. Arch
- Dan Giedeman, M.F.A.
- Lucille Cashion, M.F.A.
- David LaRose, M.F.A.
- Thomas Martin, M.F.A.
- L. Patton Chiles, M.F.A., A.E.A. - Exploring U.S. Diversity in Theatre
- Samantha Gaitsch, B.F.A. - Dance: Jazz
- Gabby Greer, M.F.A., A.E.A. - Voice and Diction
- Lindsay Hawkins, M.F.A. - Dance: Jazz
- Holly Seitz Marchant, M.F.A. - Dance