Julie Hanlon Rubio, Ph.D.
B.A. in Political Science, Yale University (1987)
M.T.S., Harvard Divinity School (1991)
Ph.D. in Religion and Social Ethics, University of Southern California (1995)
- Feminist Theology
- Catholic Social Teaching
- Family Ethics
- Religion and Public Life
- Sexual Violence
- Social Sin
Find Julie Hanlon Rubio on Academia.edu:https://slu.academia.edu/JulieHanlonRubio
Publications and Media Placements
Sex, Love, and Families: Catholic Perspectives. Editor, with Jason King. Collegeville, MD: Liturgical Press, 2020.
“Masculinity and Sexual Abuse in the Church,” Concilium, 2020/2, 118-127.
“Sloth,” in Naming Our Sins: How Recognizing the Seven Deadly Vices Can Renew the Sacrament of Reconciliation, ed. David Cloutier and Jana Marguerite Bennett, Catholic University Press, 2019, 89-105.
“#MeToo, #ChurchToo: A Catholic Social Ethics Response to Sexual Violence,” Journal of Catholic Social Thought 16.2, 2019, 1-18.
“Family,” in A Pope Francis Lexicon, ed. Joshua J. McElwee and Cindy Wooten, Liturgical Press, 2018, 68-71.
“Sex, Gender, and Revolution: Where Was Theology?,” Annual of College Theology Society 64, 2018, 63-83.
"Cooperation with Evil Reconsidered: The Moral Duty of Resistance," Theological Studies 78.1, 2017, 96-120.
Hope for Common Ground: Mediating the Personal and the Political in a Divided Church (Washington, D.C.: Georgetown University Press, 2016).
“Animals, Evil, and Family Meals,” Journal of Catholic Moral Theology 3.2, 2014, 17-36.
“Practicing Faith in Public Life: Beginning with the Local,” Journal of Political Theology 14.6, 2013, 772-85.
“Family Ethics: Beyond Sex and Controversy,” Notes on Moral Theology, Theological Studies 74:1, 2013, 138-61.
“Beyond the Liberal-Conservative Divide on Contraception: Wisdom of Practitioners of Natural Family Planning and Artificial Birth Control,” reprinted in On Moral Medicine: Theological Perspectives in Medical Ethics, eds. M. Therese Lysaught and Joseph P. Kotva, (Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 2012), 818-29.
“Moral Cooperation with Evil and Social Ethics,” Journal of the Society of Christian Ethics 31:1, 2011, 103-22.
“Intimacy, Reciprocity, and Familial Relations: Marriage for 21st Century Christians,” in Catholic Theological Ethics: Past, Present, and Future, ed., James F. Keenan, Orbis, 2011, 210-23.
Family Ethics: Practices for Christians. (Washington, D.C.: Georgetown University Press, 2010).
Media Placements (Selected)
“In Supporting Civil Unions for Same Sex Couples, Pope Francis Is Moving Catholics Toward a More Expansive Understanding of Family,” The Conversation, Nov. 3, 2020.
Guest, America media podcast, “Deliver Us,” April 25, 2019
“Ordinary Families, Holy Families: Looking to the Bible for New Models of Mercy,” America (cover story), June 20-27, 2016.
“Honoring Our Mothers in Theology,” Catholicmoraltheology.com, May 11, 2014.
“Remembering John Kavanaugh, S.J.,” National Catholic Reporter, December 7-20, 2012: 21.
“A Missed Opportunity,” cover story, “Moral Theology after the Margaret Farley Case,” America, Sept. 24, 2012, 20-22.
Honors and Awards
- Bannan Fellow, Santa Clara University (2019-2020)
- Founders Award, Women’s and Gender Studies, Saint Louis University (2018)
- Steber Chair, Saint Louis University (2017-2018)
- Annual Book Award, College Theology Society, Hope for Common Ground: Mediating the Personal and the Political in a Divided Church (2017)
- Catholic Press Association Award, Family Ethics: Practices for Christians (2011)
- Faculty Excellence Award, Saint Louis University (2003, 2007, 2018)
Professional Organizations and Associations
- Catholic Theological Society of America (Board 2018-2021, Presidential Commission on Clergy Sexual Abuse, 2018-2019)
- College Theology Society (Board 2013-2016)
- Society of Christian Ethics (Board 2006-2009, Women’s Caucus Co-Convener, 2002-2005)
Community Work and Service
- National Catholic Reporter, Board (2015-2018)
- National Seminar for Jesuit Higher Education (2015-2018)
- Voices of Women, St. Louis, MO, Board (2014-2016)
- Mev Puleo Scholarship Program, Director (2001-2009)